EU commits to the Water Framework Directive: rejecting attempts by member states to w

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The European Commission has completed its review of the Water Framework Directive after pressure from a number of member states to reduce some of the requirements it places on countries to protect and improve rivers and water bodies.

More...

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Luckily, due to Brexit, the UK will be free to ignore this ruling :)

Last edited:

stillwater blue

Reaction score
The problem with that is without the EU to monitor and regulate then the uk will always find the easier and cheaper option every time.

I was being sarcastic.

I very much doubt anything will change regarding water quality in the UK but it would have done without Brexit. But then I'm very cynical

Last edited:

sylvanillo

Reaction score
UK and France had partly driven the directive.

However I doubt any UK regulation replacing the UK implementation of the EU directive is being even considered - Mother Nature will hope I am all wrong.

The issue here is straightforward. All EU regulations / legal recommendations etc that must be maintained so that the UK shows equivalents levels for future trade arrangements have simply been drafted by copy-pasting those existing EU frameworks.
But this isn't necessary for the waters directive.

On a similar sarcastic note, fishermen don't have to worry. Now that Great Britain is becoming Little US, fishermen will still have reservoirs.