Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Default New UK Fisheries Bill starts process to become law

    A new law allowing the UK to manage its own fisheries outside the EU is beginning its passage through the Houses of Parliament.


    More...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,656

    Default Re: New UK Fisheries Bill starts process to become law

    Quote Originally Posted by FishingMagic View Post
    A new law allowing the UK to manage its own fisheries outside the EU is beginning its passage through the Houses of Parliament.


    More...

    Boooooo !

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South East England
    Posts
    4,271

    Default Re: New UK Fisheries Bill starts process to become law

    This may be jumping the gun, we have not negotiated anything yet. Our fishing rights will be on the negotiating table. The French are starting to insist they will be !

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    On another planet
    Posts
    2,982

    Default Re: New UK Fisheries Bill starts process to become law

    We have to be really strong on this especially as it's what a lot of people in coastal communities voted for with Brexit, as an Island nation our coastal waters are a huge asset. Not sure we can trust the French, Germans, Spanish and Portuguese, history shows that, unless everyone's changed of course as were all friends now, hmmm

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South East England
    Posts
    4,271

    Default Re: New UK Fisheries Bill starts process to become law

    Quote Originally Posted by theartist View Post
    We have to be really strong on this especially as it's what a lot of people in coastal communities voted for with Brexit, as an Island nation our coastal waters are a huge asset. Not sure we can trust the French, Germans, Spanish and Portuguese, history shows that, unless everyone's changed of course as were all friends now, hmmm
    The trouble is there are not that many coastal town MPs to take on central government who are all financial services and techno based ideology. Then my local MP, just elected; is some posh bird who has never lived here, comes from a millionaire background from miles away, she wont have much of a clue or care. And do the general public care, as long as the supermarket freezers are full of fish, they don't care where it comes from or how it got there. And it is not as if we have that much to negotiate with, the days are gone when we were leaders in cars, railways, ships, coal etc. The fishing rights will be too tempting to use.
    All just an opinion and I cannot predict the future, I could be very wrong but its just the way I see it right now.
    And not taking anything away from the AT etc, good on them but, it is all talk and fluff at this stage, when the dogs start to bite, that's when it will matter.
    Last edited by markg; 01-02-2020 at 15:12.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    On another planet
    Posts
    2,982

    Default Re: New UK Fisheries Bill starts process to become law

    Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    The trouble is there are not that many coastal town MPs to take on central government who are all financial services and techno based ideology. Then my local MP, just elected; is some posh bird who has never lived here, comes from a millionaire background from miles away, she wont have much of a clue or care. And do the general public care, as long as the supermarket freezers are full of fish, they don't care where it comes from or how it got there. And it is not as if we have that much to negotiate with, the days are gone when we were leaders in cars, railways, ships, coal etc. The fishing rights will be too tempting to use.
    All just an opinion and I cannot predict the future, I could be very wrong but its just the way I see it right now.
    And not taking anything away from the AT etc, good on them but, it is all talk and fluff at this stage, when the dogs start to bite, that's when it will matter.
    Agreed, nothing much will happen and very little will benefit coastal communities, the cynic in me believes that many city folk want these places to suffer to make their 2nd and 3rd homes by the sea cheaper. The they can claim they have regenerated the area, give me a working dock any day. These same people wont want to rock the Euro boat for it will affect their holiday plans on the continent or their 2nd and 3rd homes there. Meanwhile the working classes will continue to either suffer or get pushed out of their coastal areas

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bradford, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,251

    Default Re: New UK Fisheries Bill starts process to become law

    I can see it being divvied up between each of the devolved governments.

    # In an attempt to start a new cod war, Krankie will rent out 12 nautical miles of Scottish waters to EU super trawlers for ever closer union while rejecting the one they're already in.

    # England doesn't have its own parliament so it's coastal communities will not benefit, apart from recreational fishing and fining EU pillagers... will be too busy dingy spotting and scuttling.

    # N. Ireland will not be reunited nor delighted at the prospect of sharing their little corner with smuggling vessels crossing their new border.

    # Wales will become a vessel (sic) state run into the ground-baited entirely by Plaid Cymry on behalf of the 2nd place socialists fishers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South East England
    Posts
    4,271

    Default Re: New UK Fisheries Bill starts process to become law

    Quote Originally Posted by theartist View Post
    Agreed, nothing much will happen and very little will benefit coastal communities, the cynic in me believes that many city folk want these places to suffer to make their 2nd and 3rd homes by the sea cheaper. The they can claim they have regenerated the area, give me a working dock any day. These same people wont want to rock the Euro boat for it will affect their holiday plans on the continent or their 2nd and 3rd homes there. Meanwhile the working classes will continue to either suffer or get pushed out of their coastal areas
    Some of that was highlighted in the first of those Cornish Fisherman programs on the TV. very educational that program has been. Unfortunately, local councils dont help much, they see small local working fishing fleets and working areas as an eyesore, they make the beach a bit untidy and I think they would rather see them demise as well. They allowed this to happen and let the local fishermen be pushed out to outlaying estates, letting the good central houses go to the rich tourists.
    They tried to do this in my town, wanted the harbour area to be developed into a complex of high end flats for rich tourist that the locals could never afford, they lost their cause but only for now. All they see is £££'s, just makes them short sighted.

    It is the one good thing about Brexit I could understand, the fact that we could do a lot better than the EU has done when it comes to improving our fishing fleets hopes and aspirations and controlling our coastal fish stocks if we had a chance to have a go at it. Alas, this may not happen if the Government just use it as a bartering chip, all they see is £££'s which again just makes them short sighted to all the possibilities that could be. They threw it away and ruined/wasted it before and they might do the same again.
    Last edited by markg; 03-02-2020 at 08:13.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    On another planet
    Posts
    2,982

    Default Re: New UK Fisheries Bill starts process to become law

    I've been watching that show and it is good, the rotational fishing for different species from inshore fleets has been working well in New Zealand by all accounts. These inshore boats are more in tune with recreational angling and the environment than the big factory boats or the local councils will ever be. It must still be easy to drop an envelope through the door of a councillor for a new development that will make millions.

    On a positive not Sussex are implying a trawl free zone between Selsey Bill and Shoreham in a bid to regenerate the weed beds there. Things like this and marine conservation zones do give hope

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South East England
    Posts
    4,271

    Default Re: New UK Fisheries Bill starts process to become law

    Quote Originally Posted by theartist View Post
    I've been watching that show and it is good, the rotational fishing for different species from inshore fleets has been working well in New Zealand by all accounts. These inshore boats are more in tune with recreational angling and the environment than the big factory boats or the local councils will ever be. It must still be easy to drop an envelope through the door of a councillor for a new development that will make millions.

    On a positive not Sussex are implying a trawl free zone between Selsey Bill and Shoreham in a bid to regenerate the weed beds there. Things like this and marine conservation zones do give hope
    This is very good news, everything else will follow the weed, plankton, crustaceans, small fish, spawning fish, bigger fish etc. Everyone and everything will benefit including recreational anglers and the commercial fishermen of the area eventually. And you will be posting more big fish on the HDYGO thread
    These areas properly managed and even if commercial fishermen are allowed to harvested them now and then in a controlled way, will be the future. I think this is being recognized more and more globally.
    In the first program where the Cornish fishermen fish one big bay where the herring come to spawn every year, have been allowed to take what they wanted for years. Then the EU started to introduced quotas to try and protect the stocks. Same old problem, will they get the quotas right, will a couple of bad spawning years tip the edge, have they judged the present stocks right? I was thinking if they just made a third of that big bay a no fishing area it might be enough to protect those herring stocks and ensure they will always be in that bay for every future generations of commercial fishermen and consumers; would that be a better way of doing it.
    I would like to see us do things like this outside the EU; or at least have the chance to properly consider these options and implement if thought worthwhile trying.
    A proper UK marine department with marine biologists, commercial and recreational anglers represented and more, not just something latched onto the agricultural dept could do this. It would be more locally defined, not a 28 nation thing where some of those nations do not have a sea, and we wouldn't have to please those 28 nations politically, unhindered by this and expertly managed it could be the one thing we could do very well at post Brexit. Time for Boris to walk the walk, be bold, tough, innovative and forward looking.
    However, I fear our government will be lazy, not only barter away our fishing rights slowly and bit by bit but also just carry on following their directives on quotas and methods.
    Last edited by markg; 04-02-2020 at 05:57.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •