New forum software - testers needed

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

You may be aware that we are planning to change the Fishing Magic forum software from Vbulletin to Xenforo. You've probably noticed that Vbulletin is outdated and slow. Xenforo is faster, and more modern and is very widely used for forums now. We have already moved the Fly Fishing forum onto Xenforo, so if you'd like to take a look, see Fly Fishing Forums UK
The response there has generally been very positive and it has improved the speed.

This is quite a big task but we are getting there. We have a test version of the site ready now, and it would be very helpful to have 2-3 regular users to test the site and see if it does what you expect, and check if everything is where you'd expect it to be etc. If anybody is willing to do this for us I would really appreciate it - please PM me or reply below and I will be in touch!

Many thanks,

Kirsty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Keep in mind I’m an Ipad only user.

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody, I'll PM you a link to the test site. No problem if just on an ipad or any particular device, in fact it's better to have various devices testing it.
Much appreciated!

mikench

Reaction score
Likewise. I have sent a PM with a few questions to you Kirsty and I will try the new site on tapatalk. It looks very fresh and intuitive. I have tried to start a conversation on the test site but it may be this feature won't work yet. John look out for a test message.

seth49

Reaction score
Hi mike,
Don’t think the new software is compatible with tapatalk, there were a lot complaining about it on the fly fishing forums, try searching the link in the first post, put xenforo in the search box top right.

mikench

Reaction score
I think FM need to create a test site for tapatalk in order for it to be checked out. I suspect the issue can only be addressed after FM has moved across to Xenforo by which time I would hope that issues faced on the fly fishing forum have been resolved.

Windy

Reaction score
Happy to help if I can - I do offer the slightly unusual platform of Linux operating system, plus Fire fox and Opera (Chrome variant) browsers.

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody, I will PM you with the link to the test site.

I think we have enough testers now, hopefully we will be able to go live with this in the next couple of weeks. The site will need to go offline for a couple of hours but I'll give plenty of warning.

mikench

Reaction score
The new site will look good, be a major improvement on what we have now and ,I'm sure, please most people. It addresses most of the issues raised over the last few years, imo, and will make posting pictures a simple task.

I look forward to its launch.

Windy

Reaction score
...I will PM you with the link to the test site.

Many thanks for the link, but I am a bit confused as to why you need my bank account details, date of birth and Mum's maiden name ?

Nor do i understand the decision to locate the centre of your operations in Nigeria....

Although the enormous sum offered to be released for my participation will certainly be useful, I'm sure :wh