Night Fishing - is it allowed? Angling Trust Update

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Angling Trust is seeking urgent clarification on whether the Government will allow night fishing during the Covid-19 pandemic.

More...

mikench

Reaction score
Why can't we just be happy that we can go fishing? Who wants to fish at night anyway? Which group of anglers give Angling a bad name ? Which group of anglers lose the most venues for Angling clubs?

The answer is not blowing in the wind it's those who want to night fish.

If 20 unrelated anglers congregated on a water overnight ignoring social distancing, who would know? They could and would spoil it for everyone and potentially spread the virus.

Not allowing night fishing is eminently sensible and utterly obvious. Nobody has resumed fishing yet so let's ensure the resumption is a sustainable one and not shortlved because of an idiotic minority.

Last edited:

LukeM

Reaction score
I feel this bickering and questioning undermines what has been achieved this week, it’s give an inch and take a yard - first with the match fishing and now the night fishing.

Can anglers just not be happy with going fishing for pleasure, just for the short term? Not camping on the bank for days when toilets may not be open, not having pools and weigh ins just go fishing for the enjoyment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
Whilst I have no interest in night fishing, I have some sympathy with those that do. Whether day only anglers appreciate it or not, there are a lot of anglers out there that simply don't go fishing unless it's overnight. There are commercial specimen fisheries where the whole set up revolves around people doing 24hr+ sessions. The biggest issue is that it wasn't entirely clear at first that it wasn't allowed. Individual anglers and fishery owners got their hopes up. Now it looks distinctly like it isn't, but it's still not entirely clear. It shouldn't be a shock that they, not unreasonably, want some clarity. No doubt they're going to be upset if they don't get the answer they would like. However, it's unreasonable to condemn them for wanting that clarity, especially as some will undoubtedly wish to start fishing sometime tomorrow.

steve2

Reaction score
I understand that you are not allowed to stay out camping over night or stay anywhere that isn't your home address. If they allow overnight fishing you must therefore be allowed to stay anywhere away from home.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
A couple of my clubs intend to open some waters from tomorrow but from 7 am to 7 pm only ie no night fishing.....this where its normally allowed. Its fair enough....the clubs have to be seen to be acting reasonably and responsibly same as businesses and everyone else.I cannot see how angling could argue its a special case.

It will put a few carpers noses out of joint but they'll just have to get on with it for a bit. Carp feed during the day too.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I understand that you are not allowed to stay out camping over night or stay anywhere that isn't your home address. If they allow overnight fishing you must therefore be allowed to stay anywhere away from home.

I don't disagree, but that's just an interpretation of what has been said. It may well be the correct one, but those that fish nights want clarification. There's nothing remotely unreasonable in that. Even the ATr don't seem to know one way or the other, hence the rather non-committal statement from them.

I couldn't care less whether they can night fish or not. But it pains me to see other anglers complaining that anyone should have the temerity to ask for clarity.

Last edited: