The ABU Closed Face Reel - A Love Affair.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky that you were outbid on the 507 mkII Jeff they really are a complete and utter load of garbage. I well remember the guys who fished with Clisset's (not me) buying them and within two or three months most of them finished up in the bin, best place for them. Within a very short time of being launched the tackle shops couldn't even give them away let alone sell them.

My dad bought a new Abu closed face when they first came out and I used to borrow it, in fact I used it more than he did :D. After he died my eldest son asked if he could have it as a keepsake of his Papa and I reluctantly gave it to him, how could I refuse, I must ask him if he still has it because he no longer fishes.

Dave Harrel used to buy every 507 he could get his hands on, he must have had cartloads of them because every match angler in the Midlands sold their unsused ones to him for loadsa money. I did notice that he wasn't using one for the stick last Wednesday though, I wonder if he has finally fell out of love with them.