Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default The ABU Closed Face Reel - A Love Affair.

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: The ABU Closed Face Reel - A Love Affair.

Blog Entries

Default Classic

I couldn't argue with the "love affair" after all I have 4 501's still in use today - lovely reels.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Blog Entries

Got one myself, and there's nothing better for ease of use when trotting on a river.

I have an ABU 501. It's a great reel. I've had it for 25 years and would never sell it. I made a spare spool for it out of PEEK - a lot tougher than the original more brittle plastic used.

Right now I need some chenile for the edges of the spools. Does anyone know where I can get it? Tackle shops used to sell the stuff, but I can't find it these days.
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

Blog Entries

Matt,

Any decent Fly Tying Suppliers should have it.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cholmondeley-Corker (PaSC) View Post
    Right now I need some chenille for the edges of the spools. Does anyone know where I can get it?
    Pick a thread or two out of your grannie's door curtain or chenille table cloth. That's what it was made into most of the time.

I'd forgotten to add a last photo. Had a bit of trouble finding after I'd loaded it to the site, but it's on there now - at the bottom.

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    I couldn't argue with the "love affair" after all I have 4 501's still in use today - lovely reels.
    I'll give you a tenner for one of them Peter. That's all I gave for the last one. - insert stupid smilie thingy .
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Woody

Just seen the last photo. I have an ABU Cardinal Gold MAX (its got the gold plastic bit on the bottom like the one in your photo). I still use it for most of my float fishing.
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

Blog Entries

That brought some fond memories flooding back.

Just had the one 501 which I later sold to "upgrade" to the newer Daiwa 125m (which I still have) which wasn't as good or as nice to use IMO

I always wanted an Abu closed face reel, but when they were alll the rage I could not afford one!

I bought the 507 MK2 and like most people I found it horrid! At first it was OK, but then evolved into "Tanglemaster MK1"!!

I sold it to a mate who was going to try it for spinning - the theory being is that it was a modified spincasting reel and so it might be better with thicker lines.

I ended up buying a French made closed face reel about 10 years ago (I have forgotten the make, but it was distributed by VMC). A very reliable reel that has never let me down and never needed more than a clean and a drop of oil and a light smear of grease in the right place.

I still have a hankering for a Swedish made Abu though....
    (token Worcestershire member of PaSC )

Dedicated Off Road Driver.

I dont have an ABU but I use the Dawia Harrier 125 for all my float work( well with line up to about 4lb). Ive never understood why people dont use closed face reels more, as I personally find them so much easier to get on with. Ive had mine for 12 years now and it still works as good as when I first bought it!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast