Scott's PVA Salt Bag Rig

klik2change

Reaction score
I always add table salt and sugar to my hemp, and fish seem to like it, though I have never tried any trial and error experiments with it.

This looks good. I will try the maldon sea salt. Well done Scott!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Would he have caught that same Carp if he hadn't have used Salt?

Maybe not, but he may have caught a different carp. Perhaps this one just liked salt, same as you do on your chips.

I think it's worth a trial, but I wonder whether Maldon or anyone's sea salt makes any difference? Perhaps even that Lo-Salt, bearing in mind the carp's ticker. I notice his salt seems to be shredded as opposed to crytaline shape and wonder if that makes a difference. French or English? The list goes on......

I would just add a word of warning, not TOO much salt please, otherwise these lakes will have to start stocking with cod, plaice and bass rather than carp. Or you'll get it banned.

Windy

Reaction score
Must confess the same thought occurred to me :rolleyes:.
The trouble is that if something is said to work with a couple of teaspoonsful added then the next idiot is going to think that a couple of ounces more = better, then his mate ups it to a pound or so and then the next bloke reckons that if a pound works then hoy in a stone or two :eek:.
I exaggerate of course, but not by all that much I fear. Not that fifty acre fisheries are likely to be bothered by a pinch of salt here and there, but smaller waters....

Foxy

Reaction score
I always add i little salt to my base mix, but have had great results by using it in bags for years. You can include a fair bit of salt in the bags as it desolves pretty quickly, dont put to much in your base mix though as you can do serious damage to the fish

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Let's not forget that salt occurs naturally even in fresh water, it gets washed in off the soil. That and that alone is why the sea is salty, it's had 4 billion years to collect from rivers that run into it from off the land.

Same story for the Dead Sea and the Black and Caspian Seas. They're all far more saline than normal waters. The exceptions are the Great Lakes in North America, which remain fairly good freshwater in that you can drink it.

Frothey

Reaction score
I would just add a word of warning, not TOO much salt please, otherwise these lakes will have to start stocking with cod, plaice and bass rather than carp. Or you'll get it banned.

Not that fifty acre fisheries are likely to be bothered by a pinch of salt here and there, but smaller waters....

if you put a metric tonne of salt into most waters, it would make virtually no difference to the salinity - at least not enough to bother the fish. we seem to worry more about the fish, whilst sitting there cramming ourselfves full of c**p on the bank, than we do about our own health!

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
The Elworth Flashes were amongst the best fisheries in the country when the salt mines of nearby Northwich, Middlewich and Winsford (anciently known as Salinae the region was so salty) were in full production. The flashes produced some of the biggest roach, perch and carp in the country at that time.

I can't remember the figures but the saline content was extremely high, far higher than anywhere else in the country.

In freshwater aquaria up to a 1/2 ounce of salt per gallon is recommended to kill unwanted bacteria and to prevent nitrite poisoning.

On that basis, even if anglers use large amounts of salt, it can only do more good than harm. In reality anglers can't use enough salt to make any difference one way or the other.

Frothey

Reaction score
Stonar Lake in Sandwich is another one - it's right on the salt flats, fishes fairly well through the year, and the fish are piling on weight. It has a high shrimp population, and bass have even got in there from the creeks and survived.

Jim Gibbinson mentioned the salinity as being a positive in a couple of his books that featured the lake.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
In freshwater aquaria up to a 1/2 ounce of salt per gallon is recommended to kill unwanted bacteria and to prevent nitrite poisoning.

On that basis, even if anglers use large amounts of salt, it can only do more good than harm. In reality anglers can't use enough salt to make any difference one way or the other.

You're very right Graham, salt is one of the finest sterilisers. Whenever the dog has a small cut on his pad or any problem, I bath it in salted water. They used to rub it into the wounds of sailors after tasting the "cat".

However, if fishery managers will invent stupid bans of boilies or hemp or pellets (mainly because they catch fish) then it won't take long for them to lock on to anglers using salt and ban that claiming they are pouring in a pound at a time. Nature of the beast, if it gives someone pleasure, ban it.

r1paul

Reaction score
They used to rub it into the wounds of sailors after tasting the "cat".

Serve`s them right ................................ pervs :eek: :D