Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Opinion Piece - Barbed Comment

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Opinion Piece - Barbed Comment

A very interesting comment and huge debate potential.

I use Barbless hooks because most of the fisheries i fish at insist on them being used.

I don't use Barbed hooks anymore as i feel uncomfortable pulling them back out of the Fishes mouth as i feel i have to assert to much force.

I look at it like a bow and Arrow, a Barbless arrow will still put a hole in you, but a barbed arrow will put a bigger hole in you if you try to remove it.

From a safety point of view it is a lot easier to remove a Barbless hook from your person than it is a Barbed hook.
    I have seen anglers with barbed hooks stuck in there cheeks, ears, fingers etc you have to push them through the way they entered and then cut the eye off of them to remove it.

I'm not sure as to whisker barbs, i have used them in the past but i don't really feel they gave me an advantage over barbless hooks.

Just my opinion of course, but that's how i view it.

If anyone could prove to me 100% that Barbed Hooks were safer and better than Barbless Hooks, i would immediately stop using Barbless hooks, as would everyone else.

I usualy use and prefer barbed hooks, unless the powers that be rule otherwise. I prefer whisker barb type hooks when possible and in all honesty I don't think I have ever lost a fish because of them. I have seen it stated before that the deeper cut barb on a traditional hook causes a weak spot but I have yet to have one break there in over 45 years fishing. I think a company introduced a new type of hook a few years ago (may have been Preston Innovations) This had a swelling in the place of the barb............ I don't think they caught on. (Ha, ha, no pun intended).
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

I like to think that fishery owners have done homework on their fish and know whats best for them
    so I follow fishery rules
    two wrongs dont make a right but three rights make a left !

I only use barbs or micro barbs in sizes 16 to 24 for roach,otherwise I invariably lose the bu88ers. Barbless for most other situations,not for any particular reason,I just dont think they are necessary.

For me, a Barbed hook is designed to go into a fish and then to stay in there preventing the hook from being expelled by the fish, great if you are planning on not releasing the fish afterwards.

Barbless hooks are more geared towards Catch and Release as they easily slip back out the way they went in.

If i was fishing for food i would use a barbed hook, other than that, i see no point (excuse the pun) in using Barbed hooks for the style of fishing that i do.

Yes, you may lose more fish using Barbless hooks, but isn't that what fishing for pleasure is all about, a reasonably even fairness between the angler and the fish.

All manner of fish species are caught on Barbless hooks, the only reason i can see for using Barbed hooks is so that you lose less fish, but then you still release them anyway.

I always used barbless, in the belief that was best for the fish, until I fished some waters that insisted on using barbed hooks only.

Their argument being that modern hook points are so sharp that barbless hooks move about deep in the flesh like a scalpel, and the damage this movement can cause is far worse compared to the damaged caused by removing a barbed hook - although it is not as readily apparent - the barb stops the hook moving about deep in the flesh.

So I am now confused, and would like to be convinced one way or the other. But most fisheries have their rules which will have made the decision for us anyway!
    Last edited by Barney 2; 30-09-2009 at 15:31.

Unfortunately Barney,

This is a debate that at this moment in time can not be resolved between Barbed and Barbless, some say yes, some say no.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Roberts View Post
    I think a company introduced a new type of hook a few years ago (may have been Preston Innovations) This had a swelling in the place of the barb............ I don't think they caught on.
    Bang on; it was Preston Innovations and they did drop them through lack of sales. They were called Pinch Barbless.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stealph Viper View Post
    This is a debate that at this moment in time can not be resolved between Barbed and Barbless, some say yes, some say no.
    And some say, "Horses for courses."

I will use barbed hooks in smaller sizes where rules permit. Generally I prefer barbless for a lot of big river species, but that's me and the fact I'm scared of gettign a barbed hook stuck in me.

However, one of the best barbel hooks I used for meats is a Kamasan B175 Fly hook with a barb, but, press the barb down carefully and you end up with the perfect hook with a bump rather than a barb. It doesn't move around in the wound and it's dead easy to remove.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast