Anglers’ Dismay over Cyanide Fish Kill on River Trent

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I'm seriously gutted for all the Trent anglers, I couldn't believe it when I saw it on the news. I hope it doesn't turn out as bad as it's predicted.

After too much fannying around, getting consumed by the arguments and general apathy by myself I've just joined. I tried to sign Wendi up too, but my bank declined the transaction?:confused: I'll try again tomorrow.

Seriously guys, we need to back them up and show our support, if an incident like this can't part you with twenty scroats then nothing will!!! But don't complain when YOUR river is wiped out and the shister who did it gets away scot free and does it again!

The bad one

Reaction score
So a Waste Management Company is in the frame.......Now why does that not surprise me!
Its website make interesting reading..... "Why choose our company to dispose of your hazardous waste?" Now we could really have something to say about that! But for now as they are only suspects, I'll refrain from re-writing what should be the follow on from that ;0)

richiekelly

Reaction score
i saw on the telivision news last night (friday ) that "the river trent is now back to normal " how the hell can it be back to normal when thousands of fish have been killed ? god knows what damage has been done that cannot be seen below the water and how long it will take for whatever damage to repair itself,maybe now the dead fish have floated away from the area the river looks ok but it cant be.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
i saw on the telivision news last night (friday ) that "the river trent is now back to normal " how the hell can it be back to normal when thousands of fish have been killed ? god knows what damage has been done that cannot be seen below the water and how long it will take for whatever damage to repair itself,maybe now the dead fish have floated away from the area the river looks ok but it cant be.

Exactly, but to joe public everything is back to normal. No mention that 20-30 years hard work has just been swept away. Some judge will probably price the fish loss at 25p per pound and that will be it if there is any compensation. Time judges saw the real world and the devastation this causes.

(Side fact - The Sea Empress disaster that wiped out wildlife of all kinds from the Welsh coastline was fairly quickly cleared up and everyone was relieved. Well, the waste company that dealt with a lot of that clean up said years later that the sea bed was still covered in a thick mat of rotting oil. I bet it's still pretty much like that today in parts.)

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Perhaps if people like David Bellamy,Bill Oddie and co were jumping up and down with rage,shouting out about the enviromental impact etc..... on tv and in the national press, the general public would see that this isn`t just about fish and fishing.
Perhaps more folk would demand proper and just action then ???

I`m sure if this pollution episode was threatening the lives of herons,kingfishers and cormorants (god forbid) the RSPB would be taking to the streets baying for blood!!!
Perhaps the trust needs to look at ways of getting through to the public in letting them know it`s not just fish that are suffering.

Without going too far into my personal life etc.... i simply can`t afford to join the trust at the moment,i can`t afford to buy a full licence either.I have been fishing 3 times so far this season and pay for a day licence when i go.
Trying to pay bills and debts and turn my life around is my number one priority at the moment.
If the mrs and me can afford to buy each other something for christmas,then i will ask for membership to the trust.
I treasure everytime i manage to get out fishing and i would be damned annoyed if my favourite places had suffered like the trent.

Last edited:

mikeshaw1979

Reaction score
It was a high B.O.D. (biological oxygen demand) sewage discharge from Severn Trent Water's Strongford works at Barlaston that caused the fish kill IMO. Not Cyanide, well not directly as reported in the media, which can occur in nature and at much higher concentrations (try marzipan to learn the taste).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/oct/07/pollution-river-trent-investigation

...the fish kill had affected 20 miles of the river. Anglers had first spotted fish gasping for air "like canaries in a mine" on Monday, he said.

The levels of cyanide were less than one part per million but "aquatic life is very sensitive to poison," he said.

The cyanide had killed the bacteria used at the treatment works, and a combination of ammonia, from the sewage, and cyanide had killed the fish.

They would all have killed the anaerobic bacteria in the deep 'activated' sludge that treats the sewage. Anything more than 50 ppm should not have been discharged.

Therefore entirely preventable with proper monitoring; however carelessnes (or worse ) seems to have set in there. In my mind; it's inconcievable they didn't know this. :( :mad:

NB. The exact same works was fined only last month for another pollution incident earlier this year - not that AT (Fish Legal) or ACA involved themselves.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...ver-Trent/article-1357150-detail/article.html

SEVERN Trent Water has been ordered to pay almost £10,000 for polluting the River Trent.
It admitted causing sewage pollution to enter the river.
Stafford Magistrates Court was told Strongford Sewage Treatment Works, Barlaston, has an average of 150 million litres of water flow through it each day, with the final, treated water pumped into the Trent.

Amy Jacobs, for the Environment Agency (EA), said it treats sewage and trade effluent from across the area.
But on January 12, the EA noticed the effluent coming from the plant was brown and had a sulphurous smell.

Severn Trent took immediate action, stopping overflows on the afternoon of the incident.
The firm was fined £6,700 and ordered to pay £2,777 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.
A Severn Trent spokesman said the utility "deeply regrets" the incident.
He said: "This incident followed an unfortunate and unusual series of events, where sludge deposits were dislodged during an operation to reduce ammonia levels in the effluent. "We have introduced processes to reduce the risk of pollution in future, and are spending £46 million upgrading the plant."

How convenient to set the public on the waste disposal company. And to name them, usually they aren't for 'legal reasons'. It certainly took the heat off management of the Strongford Sewage Works, who, yet again, through various failings, allowed noxious effluent to destroy that part of the river.
There is much baying on this thread for a custodial sentence. I would prefer to see whoever physically let this stuff into the Trent, and the senior manager in charge, both receive a custodial sentence, not suspended, for this criminal negligence.

richiekelly

Reaction score
how many times has this and other treatment plants exeded the permissable levels of whatever substances without being caught? as long as they are allowed to monitor their own disharges i suspect that it will continue to happen, i also suspect that whoever was ultimatly resposible for this incident will not recieve an appropriate punishment.