Centrepin Heaven!

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There have been very many who have tempted by the splender of Chris Lythes reels, and gone ahead and ordered one.
Not me I might add, but having seen them I can confirm, they are indeed fine pieces of equipment.
I'm also too impatient for the necessarily long wait, not only that I value my life too much!!!
I do have some of his floats though.

Sean, if Chavender comes along,I'm sure he will have the answer to your Swallow question

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The best reels on sale today. Get one ordered Sean!

They are indeed excellent reels, but don't overlook either the Bisterne Aerials or the Centenary Coxon by Paul Witcher. Sadly I don't think he is making any more, but you can still pick one up (on rare ocassions) if available at auction.

Skoda

Reaction score
Lucky you! Did you win on your tickets or the ones I left you?

Andy

dezza

Reaction score
I like the picture of Chris next to his lathe. Of all the machine tools I learned to use over the years, the simple toolmakers lathe was my favourite.

I once made a workable single shot pistol on the lathe in my works fitting shop!

When I was an apprentice I got into trouble with the foreman for attempting to fire it using black powder and a ball bearing.

But I digress, Chris Lythe's reels are true works of art.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I won it on my tickets of course! Your tickets did't win anything:wh

I'm sorely tempted to place an order for one - I just need to choose which one!

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
its allways good too see a artist at work ,chis's reels go beyond meare metal contraptions ,like all artist ,he puts a little of himself into his works and breathes life into them .

for the spring ,garry mills would be first point of call ,but you know what these reel makers are like ( a little eccentric ) so best e-mail & call ,if he dont have one he might make one

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Theres something very attractive about a centrepin, they aren't really practical except when fishing reasonably close, they are difficult to cast a float with but still they excite us anglers. I have two centrepins and they rarely see the light of day, shame really because I do enjoy running a stick through with one.

Just out of interest what are we looking at as regards price £300? or more?

dezza

Reaction score
And the rest Graham.

I think more likely £500. The materials used are of the most expensive and best available. One thing you can say is that the value of such a reel will not drop, and in fact could rise considerably over the next 10 years. Consider the purchase of such reels as an investment.

I would also like Chris to consider the manufacture of the ultimate fly reel.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Must admit every time i pick one of his reels up i feel a sudden urge to place a order.
With the waiting list it works out at only a couple of quid a week.

See i am talking myself into ordering one. But as you say sean which one. I do like the look of the Barbel Master.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Sent my wife a link to Chris' website as a reminder that Christmas was approaching a couple of years ago. She even rang him to order one!! When told the wait was 18 months she was rather bemused and didn't bother to place the order, DAMN. Why is it women never see the long term?? Everything has to be now.

For those who haven't seen a Chris Lythe pin, study them here: http://www.chrislythe-centrepins.co.uk/centre-pin-reels.html

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a fondness for centrepin fishing and have a collection of about 15 and do use them all at some time or other. I actually have two Chris Lythes on order and one of them should be ready very soon. To be honest though out of all my centrepins I actually prefer to use my okuma sheffield the most and it works as good as, if not better than any top end centrepin. I think it looks great also. If I could only have one centrepin purley to use rather than just admire I would without doubt have my okuma sheffield !

George387

Reaction score
Well done sean, cant beat a bit of centre pinning especially with one of chris''s. Just tell the Mrs what you want for xmas now...I did...lol ;)

thagamest1

Reaction score
I am an Okuma user and simply would like to make the point that it is not used for Trotting!! I find that too much batting back eventually hurts your hand and can be slow on a fast river. Instead I use it regularly on ponds where you can fish relatively close in if not in the margins. It is a little unfair on the fish really as you can respond to every movement it makes without it having any chance of breaking your line. You can therefore afford to fish lighter. At one of my local mixed lakes with a head of carp, I fish for the roach with a 15ft assassin rod and 4lb line and land carp to low doubles with no problem other than it takes more time and patience. I have more fish and more fun than neighbouring blokes using 21/2 test curves and legering etc. Try it and see. Peter Barton

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Theres something very attractive about a centrepin, they aren't really practical except when fishing reasonably close, they are difficult to cast a float with but still they excite us anglers. I have two centrepins and they rarely see the light of day, shame really because I do enjoy running a stick through with one.

Just out of interest what are we looking at as regards price £300? or more?

Not always so close Graham. When fishing a river or stream with a good flow it's easy to find you are getting bites at 50 yards range. Most rivers are easily fished with a pin and a fixed spool is not essential. (note I said "most"!)

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I think the most surprising thing for me was the distinct difference in feel between the plain bearing on the Lythe pin and the ball race on my Swallow. From a pure engineering view point (low loads, high speeds) a ball race should be the best solution, but the feel of the plain bearing reel was so much better somehow.

I've got a mate who uses a centre pin very succesfully for 99% of his barbel fishing. He can't do a Wallis cast either!