Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default If you want to share your Swim with a canoeist…

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: If you want to share your Swim with a canoeist…

Do you think that one of the reasons that a very high percentage of Anglers have not joined the Angling trust, is because, they feel that the Environment Agency should be doing more to protect them, and they already pay them.

See, i say that because, i always thought, well felt that this was what we paid towards a Rod License for, i know differently now, but, only through asking questions and questioning people about it.

Why is it that every user of the river (or canal) no matter how few have representation at the highest level and their demands heeded, everyone except the angler that is, who is hardly ever considered yet have the biggest membership?

The recent fiasco at Hereford is a prime example where the majority user is totally deafed out in favour of the minority user i.e. the canoeists. I would like to think anglers had the common sense to organise themselves better in the face of these onslaughts but anglers being their usual thick selves just sit back and let it all wash over their heads "it can't happen to us so I won't bother" is their stance. Well, it is happening and from every corner not just canoeists, farmers, boaters, abstraction, industrial polluters yet your average angler won't even pay a few quid to get some representation in parliament to get their views heard and recognised?

Lambs to the slaughter.

puttestuts Guest

Personally I have very little faith in EA, based on recent experience, and this is why I have joined Angling Trust in the hope that they will eventually change things (we have already experienced being sworn at by about 30 canoeist on the Severn). The trouble is that as long as anglers are apathetic about joining the trust is going to be more or less powerless to do anything.

Funny thing canoes.....they sink pretty easily lol.

Default If you want to share your Swim with a canoeist…

The Environment Agency is not exclusively dedicated to the angling community. Its statutory obligations are many, varied and often conflicting, and include enabling all manner of recreation on water bodies. Canoeing is a perfectly legitimate recreation, is low-impact, is good exercise and encourages people to enjoy the countryside in a different way. Attempts to obstruct the activity in general will a) fail, and b) make anglers look like a bunch of miserable killjoys.

Personally I have NO issue with canoeists and I've never encountered one that had an issue with me angling. I find it adds to my enjoyment of the day to see a couple of canoeists passing by. Get a life guys, it's a densely populated country with lots of pressures on its recreational resources. And canoeists want what anglers want: clean, flowing water, diverse wildlife (including otters), and nice countryside.

As for the general thrust of the article, absolutely! Anglers are an apathetic, disengaged lot, as evidenced by the appallingly low AT membership rate.
    Neil
    Angling Trust member

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer1 View Post
    And canoeists want what anglers want: clean, flowing water, diverse wildlife (including otters), and nice countryside.
    Indeed they do.

Sadly however, they want it all for free being totally unprepared to pay their way!

Nice trick of you can manage it, eh? I mean, let the anglers pay thousands a year to riparian owners and then paddle up and down all day long, for free.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

as a canoeist Im willing to pay my way ......no one has never asked me to yet
    two wrongs dont make a right but three rights make a left !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cakey View Post
    as a canoeist Im willing to pay my way ......no one has never asked me to yet
    Cakey you may well, but the BCU doesn't share your view. It wants and demands if for Jack Poo!

What the piece doesn't mention is that campaign is for open access to all rivers for all non-powered craft and wild swimming. Effectively, any Richard Head could turn up on your piece of river for nowt, and **** about in your swim till their hearts content. And YOU THE ANGLER, landowner would have no redress in law!

Canoes are just the start. It'll be yatchs next and the keels can really f*** up a swim.
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast