Review and Competition - The Little Book of Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Review and Competition - The Little Book of Suicide

ENTRIES TO THE COMPETITION ON THIS THREAD PLEASE. HAVE AS MANY GOES AS YOU LIKE, HUNDREDS IF YOU CAN, BUT DON'T KILL YOURSELF WITH THE EFFORT:eek:

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ADD THAT IF ANYONE IS LIKELY TO GET UPSET OR OFFENDED AT POKING HUMOUR AT SUICIDE, AND THIS BOOK AND THE COMPETITION TO WIN THE REVIEW COPY DOES, THEN IT WOULD BE BETTER FOR YOU, AND US, IF YOU READ NO FURTHER.

Last edited:

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
It's been reviewed on FM as it has a fishing poem in it and we were sent a copy for review.

If you can arrange to send me a copy of 'Things My Girl Friend and I Have Argued About' by Mil Millington I'll read it and consider it for a review.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
I'll have a go at the competition......

Bullet, rope or razor blade
It’s so hard to decide
The easy way to end it all
When committing suicide

Perhaps a car that’s filling up
With deadly toxic fumes
Or all alone, with pills in hand
Lying down in your bedroom

And then again, another thing
You have to leave THE note
Will people really understand?
The hurt in what you wrote

But what if no one finds you
Do you think you will be missed?
If you passing goes unnoticed
Then you really will be pi55ed

So maybe people care enough
The act you should postpone
This time you have realised
That you’re really not alone

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
They don't argue about fishing.

There you are then, I won't be reviewing that for FM.

---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:03 ----------

I'll have a go at the competition......

Bullet, rope or razor blade
It’s so hard to decide
The easy way to end it all
When committing suicide

Perhaps a car that’s filling up
With deadly toxic fumes
Or all alone, with pills in hand
Lying down in your bedroom

And then again, another thing
You have to leave THE note
Will people really understand?
The hurt in what you wrote

But what if no one finds you
Do you think you will be missed?
If you passing goes unnoticed
Then you really will be pi55ed

So maybe people care enough
The act you should postpone
This time you have realised
That you’re really not alone

The book was worth reviewing just to entice that one out of Kevin:)

davestocker

Reaction score
You asked for it, Graham....

Thinking only of abundant virgins
And how we might spend eternity together,
I don my rucksack on my back
Packed with explosives
And set off for the Underground…..

(NB. Any resemblance to real events is purely co-incidental)

sick comp, IMO.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I personally feel, that this is an inappropriate subject matter to be discussing as some people could find it rather upsetting.

If you want to discuss fishing poems and literature that is one thing but to discuss suicide, that is something else entirely.

Just my opinion.

Steph.

Reaction score
Perhaps we could right some nice peoms about rape and domestic violence while we're at it.

Who'd like to start?

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

Maybe I could write a poem for the lady who works with my wife who's drug addicted daughter and her boyfriend hung them selves only to be found by their little girl.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Well, we might feel a bit queasy about a ‘Suicide Competition’ as the act itself is still a taboo subject to most, but a little black humour that draws attention to the profound effect suicide has on those left behind, it no bad thing, in my opinion.

Most of us on here will have had to deal with death, (we will all have to deal with it at some point..!) and a lot of times it seems to make no sense at all. I’ve had to go to fair few family funerals of late, and perhaps it’s just me, but those ceremonies where a little brevity was injected into the proceedings with an amusing saying or anecdote were a lot easier to bear. Laughter and tears are a lot better that tears alone in helping people to get through these things

As for suicide, we can only guess at what people are going through at the time. Some are regarded as selfish for leaving loved ones behind. Others leave family and friends with terrible guilt for not telling them what was wrong and not giving them a chance to help. Some, particularly with incurable illness can be considered as being brave for saving their loved ones from months or even years of watching them just waste away in front of their eyes.

If a book of poems about suicide helps just one person to get over the trauma of losing someone close, then it will have been worth doing. If some of those poems verge on black humour, then so be it. They may never fully understand what happened, but bringing a wry smile to someone ‘left behind’ is worth a thousand tears………

Reaction score
That may be so, but it seems inappropriate for a FISHING website.

I have been told that some of my 'fun' and 'tongue in cheek' posts are inappropriate and had some deleted becuase they were not what the new FM is all about - which I completely understand and trust the mods in their desire to create the right image for FM.

It's just a very odd book and competition in my view.

Are there no fishing books / videos to review?

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Matt

As Graham said. it has a poem about fishing in it, and it may be a tenous link with angling, but that's a lot closer than some of the posts on the Forums......!!!

And if you want a book to review, 'The Complete and Utter Adventures of Donald Effingham-Mudde and Damien' will be out on Amazon soon. you can write a piece on that if you like.........

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I agree that the poem from Kevin is definitely a good one. Semi serious and pointing a finger to the mistake of ending it all, yet it has that little touch of edgy humour.

Suicide is a morbid subject and there will always be cases that breka your heart to hear of them, one attemped one in Bermondsey just yesterday where the chap tried to kill all the family first and did kill his son. That's tragic, but I've heard much sicker jokes about suicide bombers that in reality have killed thousands of people in the past and yet the tellers never bat an eyelid at those.

It's a subject and can be treated a little light heartedly and at the same time if it puts someone off going through with it, humour or whatever will have served its pupose.

Then again a lot of people laugh at death, just so long as its someone else's of course.

---------- Post added at 16:16 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

are there no fishing books / videos to review?
no!
--------------

I seem to remember a verse in one of Mike Harding's songs, not suicide exactly but....

Old Uncle Jabus was fond of a stunt
so he went out one day with his coat back to front.
A bl**dy great tram went and knocked Jabus down.
He would have been saved, but they turned his head round.

Hmmm. Not funny eh? :wh

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I do not see how, someone else humouring the suicide of someone you were close to is comforting in anyway, it may be humouring to the Author as it is their way of dealing with it, but not to others, and to even suggest that it is humouring to them is offensive.

At this time of year, when everyone is looking forward to celebrating Xmas, their are some of us who would not rather have these wounds re opened, as the memories of these events are hard enough to bear already.

If it helps others out there to deal with it, that is fine, but there is a time and place for these things to be discussed, and this is realy not the place.

Fishing poems, fine, fishing literature is fine, but, just not this.

I would prefer to see the Thread Deleted, and perhaps replaced with "Angling Poetry" you can still feature the one and only poem about Angling, and others can still contribute their Poetry about Angling, but, not the rest.

Yours not really impressed.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Moderator Hat: OFF

I am not going to make a comment on this thread, in fact I would prefer not to have to even view it again, for personal reasons.

So, might I ask the other moderators to take my duty on this one?

I can, however, understand Graham's position, and am not offended by it at all.

Many thanks.

Moderator Hat: Back On

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Its not the first 'contoversial' thread on here, and while its of no interest to me - I don't see a 'big issue' with it.

I can understand why some are sensitive to the subject - but surley the answer to that is stop reading and/or commenting on it??

The is no obligation to read and get involved in every subject on the forum. Some topics I disagree with, others I have no interest in..... so I usually avoide them.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
I appreciate that some people may be offended or upset with this book and the competition to win the review copy. I have therefore added a warning to the starter thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.