River Wandle flourishes with 2,500 extra fish

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I got this PR from my friend who is the Fisheries Manager for the entire Thames Region and I do thank him for it, but this quotation got me.

"The batches of two year-old barbel, chub, roach and dace have been specially reared and trained for life in the wild at the Environment Agency’s Calverton Fish Farm in Nottinghamshire."

Right you 'orrible little dace, this 'ere's a model of a real life pike. If you sees him approaching, it's probably too late, but you can avoid an early termination if you watch out for yourselves when approaching weed beds and reeds especially. This is where our Mr pike likes to hide 'imself.

I wonder who does the training and is it carried out under water? :)

Steve King

Reaction score
I'm glad that the restocking has taken place. The pollution incidents were a great setback in the Wandle's recovery.

Anyway this is a good opportunity to mention that the Wandle Trust's next cleanup is Sunday 13 December. Unfortunately I won't be able to help with this cleanup as I will be away visiting relatives, but it would be nice if one or two FM members were able to assist.