Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Has the Skill Gone Out of Fishing?

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Has the Skill Gone Out of Fishing?

Blog Entries

I am a little old school and still go about it the hard way in that Float fishing is my scene but having said that I suppose I am making life a lot easier if and when I use the long pole, as for modern methods making fishing easier whatever approach is taken it has to be mastered ,yes any tom dick or harry can chuck a method feeder out and catch fish as an example but it will give him no advantage over a better angler using the same method.
    some things can not be bought at tackle shops and experience is not least of them.
    Fancy a pint?

Very good Graham. My first reaction is no, the skill hasn't gone: rather, the skills have changed. Two examples: buying the components for, and then making, all these complex rigs is a challenge in itself. Taking advantage of the information available on the web and in magazines requires new skills.

Personally, being an old fart myself, I prefer the more traditional ways, but I take advantage of the new rods, reels and other tackle which are substantially superior to the stuff from 20 or even 20 years ago.
    Neil
    Angling Trust member

Let's face it - in the Trent matches, especially in the nineties, the majority of anglers thought that winning a match on the feeder was almost cheating!! I remember a Notts Fed match on the 'road stretch' at Stoke Bardolph where 99.9% of anglers just set up 2 stick float rods. I'd been practising mid week & caught better fish on the maggot feeder so started on that. The looks & ribaldery I got from all & sundry was ony soothed by the £450 I picked up for winning the match with 20lb to spare!!!

I'd never have won on the stick - I wasn't good enough but most of the stick men wouldn't have won on the feeder - they weren't good enough. By the time I left Nottingham I bet 80% of the matches in the area were won on the feeder because different species were being targeted - bream, barbel & chub. I'm just glad I didn't chuck my carp gear away when I stopped carping cos it's mostly the same stuff for carp, barbel & pike - maybe bream & tench too.
    Carpe Cerevisi

Blog Entries

Around these parts it's called carballing. The idea being a bait/method to take both carp or barbel, or whatever shows up. Though that is usually a bream, or if you are lucky, a chub. I think the poor stocking ratio on the Thames has a lot to do with that. As for expertise, you still have to know what to do with the tackle and lady luck plays a bigger part today than ever before.

Blog Entries

My understanding of carbelling is using carp tackle to catch barbel.

7. Default

if the skill had gone, then everyone would catch the same fish, sure carbelling on the thames, like any other big river is a chuck it and wait method, but fine tuning or fettling with your bait presentation will get you better results, that is the skill, the main difference today is that everything is available to everyone, but only those with a certain amount of no it all, or skill are successful most of the time, personally I know nuffin and catch ****** all,

Blog Entries

It's evolved!

carp fishing certainly changed from hunting to trapping with the bolt rig and later the hair, and the change in water craft (to boats) probably didnt help either, still its all about pleasure isnt it, I suppose it depends on how you measure success, I spend a fgew years flogging myself stupid trying to prove a point, occassionally I was successful but uit was hard work and I quest what pleasure it gave me flogging myself, I certainly had my share of blanks, skill I doubt it, Jim Gibbinsons quote always sticks in my head, in not other sport does time substitute skill? Match angling however now thats a different kettle of fish 9no pun), in many cases these guys fish outside known feeding periods and still come up with the goods, I knew Benny Ashhurst reasonably well in the 70s, what an amazing angler Benny was although he never claimed to be an expert, he was the closest I ever came to one. We still have many highly proficiant anglers around who are willing to share information through the vast array of publications that now flood the market, maybe many learn these days through reading alone, the information is so readily available these days.
    Ageing rock guitar hero

Blog Entries

Those two photos of Graham with the bream say it all don't they?

You can see which fish and method gave him more pleasure. It would be the same for me of course.

I think I know why I do more fly fishing these days. There is still a large modecum of skill required to catch a fish, although there are those who try to take the skill away here too.

An of course I love float fishing for roach on a river, or even a still water for that matter.

Years ago I succombed to the dreaded double hook roach self hooking feeder rig that is all the rage on a few waters. It works of course but never again! The whole idea of chucking out this rig and waiting for the swinger to drop, indicating that a fish has hooked itself just does not appeal.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast