Salter Warns: Tough times for River Kennet and Takes Aim at Beaver

Reaction score
Whatever our political colour; the loss of Martin Salter as he stands down at the end of this Parliament is a significant loss to our sport. No other MP has appeared to champion the profile of angling as effectively as Mr. Salter. Let us hope that one of the current crop or the new intake proves as committed to our cause.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Yes, he's a diamond.
But I was thinking...
"Back in March, Natural England and the People’s Trust for Endangered Species published a feasibility study into the re-introduction of the European beaver and acknowledged the “contribution that beavers make to river and wetland management.” The study claimed that “it is clearly feasible to re-introduce beavers into England with many consequent benefits, not least for beavers to assist with river and floodplain restoration.”
If these people actually have the clout to achieve this kind of result, why doesn't the Angling Trust start leaning on them to re-introduce sturgeon and burbot back into our rivers? Of course the environment must be sustainable for these fish to thrive so a little investment might be in order. Once that is achieved we can then talk about beavers. Ahem!

Ruth Lockwood

Reaction score
As an MP, Martin Salter has offered angling unique political support throughout his appointment, and is currently introducing the potential replacements to his contacts to ensure this relationship develops beyond his departure.

As an angler, Martin Salter has pledged his continued commitment to assist in the development of a single voice to represent angling and in my view, this offer should be given serious consideration leading up to his resignation.

As part of the continued review of strategy and structure within the Angling Trust, I will be attending a meeting on Wednesday to hear 3 views on The unification of Angling-2010 and beyond.
The first will be from Mike Heylin-AT Chairman, the second from Mark Lloyd-AT CEO and finally Martin Salter MP.

Mike Heylin will then chair a discussion with other independent representatives of AT group members with commercial experience like me, to assist in revisiting the purpose, the road map, the message, the delivery etc........

Can keep you posted with the outcome if anyone's interested?.......But be sure there is a whole bunch of people working really hard for angling right now, my only hope is that we can find a new way to bring us all together some how and that goodwill remains in place long enough for AT to revise and realise a sustainable plan!!

Happy Christmas btw x

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Martin will be a great loss to angling; has he been offered a position within the AT?
As for the beaver; how will the EA maintain the legal river levels when we have beavers locking off the flow? Many rivers now are barely meeting the required legal levels.

Re Ruth's post, surely this should have gone on the AT web site and members alerted through the e-mailed newsletter?

As Jeff says, of course we're interested.

The AT Forum is now on-line, if anyone is interested.

Reaction score
Thanks Ruth, please keep us informed of the discussions. It is typical of Martin that he has started to identify and brief potential replacements. It would be good if there were more than one vocal supporter of our sport in both Houses.

Ruth Lockwood

Reaction score
Will do!

As John mentioned, please be sure to make use of the new members only forum Angling Trust - The Angling Trust to register your views & ideas etc.

This forum (non-members read only) has been kindly designed and will be administered by Carl Hoyle of the RAF Carp fishing team, who has donated his experiences, services and time to run this forum, which we hope will become a convenient and popular method for members to voice their opinions directly to the Angling Trust in the future.

My personal thanks to Carl for his valuable contribution at this time.

Kindest regards

Ruth