Hobnobbing with the Royals

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What a dream trip !
I wonder how much a trip like that cost and how you would go about booking it ?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

I would love to try that sometime, i just can't imagine what it must be like (No, Ron that is not a que for you to try to show me) :D

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
What a dream trip !
I wonder how much a trip like that cost and how you would go about booking it ?

Several grand. But you're gonna be a long time dead. Just google it for a bit. Or you can always try backpacking and do it on the cheap. Probably not staying at the Royal though! :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Several grand. But you're gonna be a long time dead. Just google it for a bit. Or you can always try backpacking and do it on the cheap. Probably not staying at the Royal though! :)

Yeah, of course your right, where only here once and I've not had a propper holiday for 25yrs !
It would be something I would prefer to do with some friends though and not just go it alone. I do have a few m8's who'd most likely jump at the merest suggestion so I might just suggest it !
Maybe there would be cheaper diggs than the Royal ? I think accomadation/diggs can make a huge difference in price.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I don't know Africa too well but I did spend a few years travelling around the world on a shoestring, mainly in India and SE Asia. And yes, there's almost always a cheap and cheerful place to stay, especially in these 3rd world locations. Not out in the bush though - and you might have to put up with less than perfect conditions :wh

I would say the major problem for go-it-aloners is tackle. There's a limit to what you'll want to carry with you. Break a rod, or lose a reel, birdsnest the line whatever and there's no nearby tackle shop to re-equip yourself. If at all possible, go with an experienced outfit who are geared up to make your trip a good one. If you can't afford that, still go - be a pioneer and learn to do it on the cheap. The experience will blow you away and put a very different perspective on things.

dezza

Reaction score
It's nice to see Dave Stueart and Kay still around and catching fish.

Zambia I am told is now a nice stable country with a good future and well worth a visit. My friend: angling author Bill Hansford-Steel has been to this spot on quite a few occasions.

We can only hope that Zimbabwe becomes stable an allows it's people to benefit from it's wonderful tourist potential.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I'm afraid Dave lost Kay last year. Probably the most successful female angler this country has ever seen and one of the cleverest and most witty ladies I ever met. Sorely missed.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Just had this email from Dave:

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for pointing out to Ron Clay that Kay had passed away, and also the kind things you said about her. Of course she was clever - she married me.

It was however, over two years ago this September that she died. Frightening the speed of time.

Ron must have missed the beginning of the article as I did refer to my 'late' wife Kay.

Ron may have got confused by the picture of the very happy lady with her big Tiger who was the female part of the couple we got friendly with at the Royal. They were Jim and Judith Auty, farmers from Wakefield.

Judith was obviously so happy with her fish that I think it epitomised that angling can give some ladies as much enjoyment as it gives to male anglers, which was why I thought the picture of her should be included.

As I don't know how to place a reply on the website, perhaps you could place this information for me.

Many thanks,

Dave.