World Record Carp Captured from French Lake

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Wowee! that is one big carp and a just reward for such dedication. I had a look at the link for Rainbow Lake and under the heading "Other species" it says Pikes, Bass, Tenches and - Poles - what the eck are Poles?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Wowee! that is one big carp and a just reward for such dedication. I had a look at the link for Rainbow Lake and under the heading "Other species" it says Pikes, Bass, Tenches and - Poles - what the eck are Poles?

Three possibilities spring to mind Graham:

1) A long fishing rod thingie without a reel, or

2) An Eastern European person who may, or may not, consume English freshwater fish caught in suspicious circumstances . . . .

3) A Perch, but only if considering the old Imperial measurement system where; a Rod, Perch or a Pole was equivalent to about 16.5 feet or 5.5 yards.
(now, that was a clever one . . . . )

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
How times have changed. What a splash a near 100lb carp would have made in the angling world 25 years ago. Today, just a few comments on FM is all it warrants. Hell of a fish though and I'd love to catch it - but in June, on a sunny day with a glass of wine and some local cheese and baguettes perhaps...

I think I'm getting old :)

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score

Shine

Reaction score
Very well done that man.

Getting it in his landing net was like 'trying to land a small hippo with a tennis racket.... lol