Angling Trust Challenges Politicians to Commit to Angling

dezza

Reaction score
This is the stuff we need Angling Trust. Obviously government (hopefully) will listen to our representative body, The Angling Trust.

But we must make the AT Stronger.

we should encourage all members of this site to put AT after their names if they are members.

Life Member - Angling Trust

stravic

Reaction score
Absolutely agree Ron, I am pleased to see the AT making it's presence felt, myketyke AT member.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
How on earth can any resonable, logical thinking angler be against the Angling Trust?

Come on Ron, your membership was via your life membership to the old (and sadly missed ) ACA!

At least I joined in late January 2009, and have donated a reasonable sum since then.

Cakey is more than entitled to his opinion, and one that I subscribed to at the beginning.

So, we shouldn't be denegrating a fellow angler for having a different opinon, should we?

dezza

Reaction score
OK, time to spell it out.

What is wrong with the Angling Trust, and why are you against it - from your point of view?

For many many years, we as the anglers of Britain have dreamed of having a fully representative body covering all types of angling disciplines to represent our sport, specifically to government and the other powers that be.

The ACA came about mainly as a legal body to take polluters to court. I supported this organisation for many years of my life. I was a life member of it.

Does that make me something else when my life membeship was carried over.

Life Member - No 42678 Angling Trust

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My own views of the set-up of the Angling Trust (AT) are well documented in many earlier threads going back about 2 years.

However, a good and well respected friend made a very good point to me, and that changed my mind. I will support the AT for 2 to 3 years and hope to see a great improvement in what we had previously.

My point though was that we should not, as fellow anglers, criticise others for their opinions.

I sincerely hope that, by a proven track record of success, the AT attracts many more anglers as individual members, and if that includes the likes of Cakey then they will have deserved his support.

Individual anglers still have a choice, thank God, as in any market-driven environment.

Angling Trust member number 39,456

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I said that I would give at least 3 years support, as for those not willing to support the A.T. that debate has been done to death.

I'll not criticise the AT from outside but have and will from within.
What I will say is that I believe the leadership of the AT and FL (and issues) needs to be clearly defined and separate

A.T. No 37812

I would have signed up for life but I doubt I'll get any long-term benefit :D

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
- Ditto John H (above) -

And not because we're pals or anything, I've never met the man and for all I know he might be a right grumpy old ***! :)

But Graham Marsden summed it up by saying - it's the only game in town and if we screw it up at birth, we will never get another chance.

But people are free to make their own choice. Mike Heylin (Chairman AT) knows a lot of my concerns and feelings and Mike is as straight as a die and I am hoping that he will guide it through this rocky patch and make it the society that people TRULY WANT to be associated with.

AT member no # I've put it away now and can't be bovvered!

(note to Mike - cheque to usual address, please, and not one of those inferior "virtual ones" by email this time!) :D

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

Oh, forgot about the thread title -

I think it's right that the society that supposed to represent us all gets these politicians now to nail their colours to the mast, so to speak. We had the Anglers Charter from Labour and that in its original form (as worked by Tom Pendry now Lord Pendry) was a fine and well intentioned document. However, until I hear differently, I believe that the present Labour Government is paying lip service only to it since signs of anything positive have been scarcely seen.

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

Further - (getting boring isn't it) ;)

This just came around from teh Angling Trust, don't know how many others got it -

Thanks to everyone who has renewed their membership promptly so far this year. We’re delighted that 88% of individuals who joined in January 2009 have already rejoined this year and many new members are joining every day. Our membership continues to grow steadily; we are nearing a landmark of 15,000 individuals and we now have 1,327 clubs in membership.

Please help us increase this rate of growth by urging your fellow anglers to join up. Please forward this newsletter to them if you think it might help persuade them.

Would anyone like the FULL update?

Last edited:

Cakey

Reaction score
before Im nagged I am member Im giving it one more go but to me its still not being pushed
for example I go into several tackle shops around the North London area none advertise AT so the "everyday solar powered angler" aint got a clue
I also shop on line at several sites where there are good deals and I use ebay shops ,none mention AT
then I visit several angling sites I only know of one that advertises AT
so maybe Ive got it wrong but if AT is the best thing since sliced bread then why aint it being rammed down my throat everywhere I go ?
i.e. Fishingmagics home page should have a free ad for them and a link to the signing up page ,tackleshops should be signing me up when I walk in etc etc

just my opinion but AT can only have good news when it reaches 1 million members and it really will be the voice of angling.

dezza

Reaction score
I agree Cakey, The AT should be given one free page advert in every fishing magazine and newspaper. There should be a set of fliers with who they are and how to join sent to each and every tackle dealer in the land.

Every purchase on line should also include the flier asking if the recipitent is a member of AT. Every angling meeting and presentation should have the AT well represented.

There are many things that could be done that are not being done to spread the word.

904_cannon

Reaction score
A very interesting, supportive and considering where it was posted, a very surprising post HERE
Just goes to show that when we bleed we all bleed the same colour blood.
Well most of us do :)

I must be getting old as I agree with every word Ron says above. Also as every angling web site/fishing forum board owe their very existence to angling they too should carry mandatory advertising for the AT

I've done my bit with the two web sites I run, especially the CSG web site, too much in fact for one ex member

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly with Cakey.

There's two little areas on our front page I'd like to see changed to contain adverts - one for the latest competitions on Fishingmagic (I'm sure you'd support that Cakey?) and the other for Angling Trust with appropriate link to their site. I'm just waiting for my request to come to the top of the ever extending heap.

However, saying all of that, how do go on with a reaction like this - I got an Angling Trust leaflet and application form with my licence again this year. I shoved it under the nose of my mate (?), a carp fisher and (he says) someone who is passionate about fishing and the aquatic environment, and he says "What's this?" I told him and the fact that he can back up his words with £20 per year and he comes back with "No ****ing chance.", but just wait until the next time he complains about the quality of fishing or some pollution incident...... Just ****ing wait...... I'm ready...

904_cannon

Reaction score
I have just the same problem with my club(DCAC) committee Woody, I think there might be just one besides me out of 10 a member of the AT. They are a $loody disgrace. None of them see any reason why they should become an individual member.