The Loop Knot Thread

Reaction score
A simple method of tying a loop in the end of a piece of line is The Double Overhand Loop Knot.

Similarly, there is The Figure of Eight Loop Knot.

But which one is the stronger knot for mono?

For braid I use a None Slip Loop Knot and a modified version of it for Fluoro.

I am sure you all have your favourites.

noknot

Reaction score
I very rarely need to tie a loop. In fact I cannot think of the last time I used or needed one.
Well maybe have a longer think Paul???

Heres mine: The Noknot nailer!

Rig.jpg

;)

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I think the figure of eight knot with a bit of spit is probably stronger with mono . When I use ready tied hooks I never trust the pre-tied loop and always cut it off and re-tie it myself. I also feel that when using a short hooklink attatched to a swivel or quick change bead it is worth making the loop twice the size you normally would for added strength and stretch.

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
I think the figure of eight knot with a bit of spit is probably stronger with mono . When I use ready tied hooks I never trust the pre-tied loop and always cut it off and re-tie it myself. I also feel that when using a short hooklink attatched to a swivel or quick change bead it is worth making the loop twice the size you normally would for added strength and stretch.

Why would a bigger loop make it stronger??

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I've been led to believe that a loop knot is a strangulation knot and therefore badly weakens the line. the phrase 'if you want to lose more fish then use the overhand loop knot' was used if I remember correctly.

Since then I have always tied my line to a swivel or rig ring using a palomar knot instead.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
The figure of 8 loop is the way to go if a loop is needed. The standard overhand loop is week as hell. Loops very useful for pole rigs and for joining fly leaders to braided loops on fly line.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I use the figure of eight loop too, any time the hooklength has gone the line goes mid way down the link so the loop isn't the weak spot.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
For joining 2 lenghs of line together i always cut off the loop and tie (what i believe is) a 4 turn water knot, as pictured from a Kamasan diagram, it has never ever once let me down and is stupidly easy to tie.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I do think it is important to differentiate between the Overhand Loop Knot and the Figure of Eight Loop Knot.

The former is OK for a bit of line not under strain...I use it on my pole rigs.Below the main knot. But the latter is far, far stronger, albeit a little big...I use it as the main knot on the top of my pole rigs..the knot that takes the strain below the dacron loop.

I also use it to join my hooklength to my mainline, and often as not, to join my mainline to my reel line ( I use a lot of ready-tied casts, ready weighted with their own floats).

I can honestly say that I have NEVER had a pair of these knots, connected to one another by a loop to loop join, fail. Not once.

I wish I cold say the same for my Improved Clinch Knot, that I use to tie a hook on with .... I am constantly having to re-tighten them, and I have definitely lost fish to them:mad:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
wish I cold say the same for my Improved Clinch Knot, that I use to tie a hook on with .... I am constantly having to re-tighten them, and I have definitely lost fish to them

Not that much improved then, why not use a Palomar knot? I think it's probably the best knot for most lines and almost impossible to tie badly.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Why is this posted in the General/Course Fishing Lakes section ??

Should have gone to Spec Savers, perhaps this will also help with any dodgy knot tying ............... :wh :p

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Confesion time, Ray.

I have an appalling memory for knots. I don't know why, I just simply cannot remember them. I've always been that way. As a sprog, I used to carry Pegley-Davies knot cards just to try and help, but I could never understand the drawings:eek:

A few years ago, I sat and learnt that Figure of Eight knot from Roy's video and I sat and practised the Improved Clinch Knot...I practised it for days and it has finally stuck in my head, though if I have not fished for a few weeks I have to get the cards out again.

I don't think I can mange to remember any other knots, my brain won't let me.

Equally a pal sent me a video of a knot he uses for hooks and I did ,just, manage to learn that, though only sitting in front of the computer. But the knots still came loose on me.

Perhaps I'm just not tightening them up enough?

I can 'just' do the knotless knot ( another example where the overhand loop knot is OK), but hair-rigging rarely works for me..perhaps I should use it without the hair anyway?

If it weren't for Hooks to Nylon I would have had to give up fishing in my youth, though I rarely use them now.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I use three knots, the palomar, the knotless knot and the grinner or 4 turn water knot or whatever it's called (but only to join lines together or when using braid).

I often use the knotless knot to attache hooks even if I'm not using a hair. I just snip the hair off half way up the hook shank. Smaller hooks get the palomar treatment.

I never use spade ends because as we established elsewhere, the knot is physically impossible to tie and anyone who says they can is lying.

tortoise100

Reaction score
I never use spade ends because as we established elsewhere, the knot is physically impossible to tie and anyone who says they can is lying.

Have you tried the snell knot or backwards knotless knot as I like to call it don't need an eye on the hook, I don't use spade end anyway because they are small and fiddly .

Red Army

Reaction score

Anyone who says they can't haven't tried hard enough IMO even my 10 y-o daughter can tie them. Failing that plenty spade end hook tiers will do the job perfectly in seconds :rolleyes: