Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horses for courses

It seems to me that the vast majority of record claims these days are from opportunistic catches not by design. My personal feeling is that this takes something away from the achievement as it is unplanned and just luck of the draw. What are your feelings on the matter.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Horses for courses

Quote Originally Posted by tiinker View Post
    It seems to me that the vast majority of record claims these days are from opportunistic catches not by design. My personal feeling is that this takes something away from the achievement as it is unplanned and just luck of the draw. What are your feelings on the matter.
    To my mind it is the fish that holds the record and not the angler who happens to catch it . . . . .

That said, the captor of, say, a 4lb true Roach that took a hair rigged 16mm boilie fished at over 100 yards from the bank can hardly claim that his Roach was caught by design . . . . can he?

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

That's fishing. Provided the record is caught legally and with a rod and line, I couldn't care less if it were a fluke or a bye-catch. It should be about the fish, not the angler. If it's the biggest of its kind caught on rod and line, that should be the end of it. The record fish itself matters, who caught it, and by what method, on what tackle, shouldn't really matter a toss.

It's a different kettle of fish for an individual angler though. Despite the above attitude towards records, I'd rather not catch a PB tench or bream when out with carp gear. However, I'd rather catch it on carp gear than not catch it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    That's fishing. Provided the record is caught legally and with a rod and line, I couldn't care less if it were a fluke or a bye-catch. It should be about the fish, not the angler. If it's the biggest of its kind caught on rod and line, that should be the end of it. The record fish itself matters, who caught it, and by what method, on what tackle, shouldn't really matter a toss.

It's a different kettle of fish for an individual angler though. Despite the above attitude towards records, I'd rather not catch a PB tench or bream when out with carp gear. However, I'd rather catch it on carp gear than not catch it at all.
    It matters to me if what you say in the first was true then the angler that captured the fish should remain anonymous. but that is not the case is it. It seems today how you catch the fish comes very low down in the order of things. I am never more disappointed when I catch a tench or roach on carp tackle and visa versa when I catch a larger than expected fish on lighter tackle than I would normally use for that size of fish as long as I do not have to over play a fish.

It matters to me if what you say in the first was true then the angler that captured the fish should remain anonymous. but that is not the case is it.
    The vast majority of record holders are anonymous unknowns. I haven't got a clue who they are and couldn't care less who they are. It's people and the angling industry that attach such importance to the captors. Catching a record fish is no indicator of anything, why should anyone care who managed it?

It seems today how you catch the fish comes very low down in the order of things. I am never more disappointed when I catch a tench or roach on carp tackle and visa versa when I catch a larger than expected fish on lighter tackle than I would normally use for that size of fish as long as I do not have to over play a fish.
    What would you propose to do about it? Written and witnessed statements, made before an angler sets off, as to what species they are targeting that day? No fish other than those specifically targeted to count? Fish caught on overly heavy gear don't count, but those accidentally caught on more proportionate kit do?

It's simply not realistic to discount records based on intent or kit used. Make it all about the fish, all this nonesense goes away. Anonymize it if necessary, in reality, it's of no consequence who catches a record fish.

All of my biggest Chub have been caught while I have been fishing for Barbel, should I discount them because I wasn't fishing for Chub?

My biggest Zander came while Pike fishing its just the luck of the draw within angling.
    i think thats what they called me.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    The vast majority of record holders are anonymous unknowns. I haven't got a clue who they are and couldn't care less who they are. It's people and the angling industry that attach such importance to the captors. Catching a record fish is no indicator of anything, why should anyone care who managed it?

What would you propose to do about it? Written and witnessed statements, made before an angler sets off, as to what species they are targeting that day? No fish other than those specifically targeted to count? Fish caught on overly heavy gear don't count, but those accidentally caught on more proportionate kit do?

It's simply not realistic to discount records based on intent or kit used. Make it all about the fish, all this nonesense goes away. Anonymize it if necessary, in reality, it's of no consequence who catches a record fish.
    It can only be down to the individual whether he or she claims or not.

It can only be down to the individual whether he or she claims or not.
    True, but that bears no relation to what I've written.
    Besides, you might try questioning Peter, he's said pretty much the same as I have, you like his post yet you take me to task for saying the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by the blanker View Post
    All of my biggest Chub have been caught while I have been fishing for Barbel, should I discount them because I wasn't fishing for Chub?

My biggest Zander came while Pike fishing its just the luck of the draw within angling.
    That is a question for you to answer yourself . But do you not get a extra buzz when you catch the fish you have set your table for. I catch carp when I am tench fishing but I do not weigh them no matter how big they are they are not what I am fishing for.

. But do you not get a extra buzz when you catch the fish you have set your table for.
    Yes it`s nice when you catch your intended species. However not everyone sets out with a particular target in mind. There are plenty of happy splodgers out there, myself included at times, who just go out to catch a few fish and don`t really care what they are.

Surely part of the joy of fishing is the surprise catch, be it a record or a large fish or just something unexpected?
    Neil (PaSC Assistant Treasurer)
    "Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you. If he does not, why humiliate him?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast