Budget cuts

thecrow

Reaction score
In these days of budget cuts to a variety of public services and anglers having to pay more in fishing tax for what will be the same poor service from those responsible for improving? angling, how have the EA been able to spend goodness knows how much on contractors to decimate the trees and bankside cover on our rivers in the way they have recently?

This will not only harm rivers through bank erosion and the depositing of silt further downstream but also the creatures that depend on this bankside environment for breeding and feeding not to mention somewhere to actually live.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I am right in saying that the last EA Budget cuts were back in 2015 . . . . . which actually prevented much of the then planned bank clearances.

flightliner

Reaction score
Crow, do what some do--- you see a bit of narrow river with no trees that u feel would benefit from one being there and next trip you go , take ,or cut a short length of willow stick and push it in the bank close to the watersedge.
Not long before you have a fish holding feuture providing much needed cover.

steve2

Reaction score
Have planted a few trees this way over the years and will continue to do so. Willow grows very easily and quickly

thecrow

Reaction score
I think I am right in saying that the last EA Budget cuts were back in 2015 . . . . . which actually prevented much of the then planned bank clearances.

Which makes it all the more strange that this has been done again, do they never learn? (stupid question :) )

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 ----------

Crow, do what some do--- you see a bit of narrow river with no trees that u feel would benefit from one being there and next trip you go , take ,or cut a short length of willow stick and push it in the bank close to the watersedge.
Not long before you have a fish holding feuture providing much needed cover.

Did this a long time ago at my local still water and now they are large healthy trees that give some separation between anglers and if they are quiet you would never know they were there. Would be good if lots more did it as it only takes a few minutes.

Another trick we used was to tie string to a branch and a brick to the other end, chuck the brick in and it made the branch grow over the water.