Halcyon river diaries

honslow

Reaction score
Sorry. Meant to be RSPCA. Doh!
Yes, the same Vic Simpson. But we're talking about the re-release of rehabilitated animals, not some hair-brained scheme to trap and relocate troublesome fish eaters... that would be a bonkers proposal!

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Good to see old Auntie on the ball... It's illegal to catch and remove bullheads, they're an endangered species! Just like old tarka. Wonder how many complaints the Beeb has received from viewers about the family breaking fish conservation .

I don't see why you would attatch blame to the BBC, Greg?

They may have commisioned the series, or they may have just bought it .....are you suggesting that every wild-life programme be sent off to some lawyers first, less some rule be broken by the participants?

Next thing you'll be blaming them when some footballer commits a 'foul' on another on Sunday Sport. ;)

I didn't see the Bullhead bit...could someone elucidate ?

honslow

Reaction score
Publishers and broadcasters are ultimately the ones responsible for content of programmes and publications...
They were turning stones and catching bullheads, I think to put in the aquarium where they became kingfisher fodder. Then again the little mite might have dropped the bullhead by mistake (and got a telling off for his butter fingered-ness...)....

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Publishers and broadcasters are ultimately the ones responsible for content of programmes and publications...

In that case somebody needs to give Rupert Murdoch a slap.:mad:

Thanks for the information, Greg. I was so amazed by the photography I didn't even think about what was on the menu !

I don't recall seeing a bullhead since the Sixties.

honslow

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, this is a great programme and we desperately need more of the same or similar. Have heard some of Hugh Miles' underwater filming is on Springwatch a week on Monday and in follow on programmes that week - spawning barbel and chub on the Hants Avon I think. And he's been filming in or on the Wensum in the past week....
Anything that highlights the lives and plight of coarse fish is much needed.