Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Halcyon river diaries

Did anyone else watch this delightful episode on BBC1 yesterday 6.30 pm, I was transfixed by it especially the footage of Mink and Otters , if you missed it do try to get it on catch up tv it is a real rare treat.
    Fancy a pint?

Yes it was excellent ...I liked the kingfishers part -- and catching fish for the 'aquarium'
    It's a fine line between genius and madness -- I wish I knew which side of it I'm on !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one) View Post
    and catching fish for the 'aquarium'
    ha ha ha ha ha when the lad threw the only fish away ..priceless
    Fancy a pint?

Quote Originally Posted by slime monster View Post
    ha ha ha ha ha when the lad threw the only fish away ..priceless

That was brilliant ---and just so natural ..you could see it coming couldn't you ?
    It's a fine line between genius and madness -- I wish I knew which side of it I'm on !

Blog Entries

Yes and it could have been me as a child sulking on the bridge after he did it .
    Fancy a pint?

I thought it was ironic that when filming the Otters attacking and taking the Mallard ducklings (6 or 7 "went missing"), the narration commented that the lake/pond didn't have any fish in it - suprise, suprise... wonder why the pretty little Otter was hunting and eating the ducklings??

2+2 = 5

Nasty little b8stards those otters. I liked the way the commentator chap speculated that the mother and her remaining few chicks must have 'moved on'. No, the otter obviously scoffed the lot!!! Give it another decade....

Also disturbing was the footage of the Mink taking the Kingfisher. Could Otters do the same?
    The only time I have seen an Otter was when bird watching at Leighton Moss reserve. Mink, I have seen plenty of and watch one swim of with a duckling. Mink are associated with taking all sorts, could Otters be the same? I think Otters are more nocturnal, so their antics not seen so much.

40 to 50 years ago just one family of Otters were thought to be resident on the whole of Throop and perhaps that also included the lower tidal and upstream Parley areas as well. Bearing in mind I almost lived on the water for many years, I only ever recall two sightings. I've now seen Otters on all three beats of Throop eight times in the last three years. Considered opinion says there are now several families resident within the same area that supported just one. It is quite common to find their tracks and the obvious signs of their meals.

Do they attack and eat birds?

Just try counting the river birdlife. Where they were once numerous, they are now few and far between. You can count the Coots on one hand (if at all), there are still a few Moorhens and the occassional Water Rail (but haven't seen one in the last two years). The little Egrets (white) are still there and have been since I was in short trousers. How can generations of brilliant white birds survive when others all around seem to be disappearing?

Oh! and the other great survivors of the birdworld are those dirty great black things that sit on the pylons laughing at me as I try and catch chub!

I've been watching those dirty great black things take ducklings the last month or so. They too, were once considered vermin and shot. I've also seen them fighting off herons to take other 'food' I couldn't identify..it might have been abandoned bait, .... it might have been more ducklings.

Mink...I hate 'em. They have taken all the wild carp from our only village pond we were allowed to fish. Generations of villagers cut their angling teeth on those little wildies

Mink are everywhere here in SW Surrey, .... I have even seen them as much as 4 miles from water.

Rather worryingly otters have been seen too and it seems they are on the Wey as well.
    The Indifferent Crucian.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast