Relum Deluxe Brotel

D

David OLoughlin

Is it any good.
I'm 6'6'.
Anybody got good advice for a lightweight waterproof brolly for a big bugger like me?
I'm more of a rover/short session than a long stay.
Thanks
Dave

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Yes, it is good, even for a big 'un! Especially for short, roving sessions, for it's light as well as giving decent cover.

D

David OLoughlin

Thanks,
by the way Graham B......y good site. the missus is happy as keeps me away from the naughty places.
Regards
Dave

S

Stewart Bloor

Dave, just to echo Graham's comments. I've practically been living in mine over the last few months...especially since Mrs Sedge threw me out...And you keep away from those naughty sites...grahamswallet.com is enough to frighten anybody...

M

Malcolm Bason

Iv'e had a brotel for over a year now and am fully satisfied with it. It does indeed provide sufficient cover against wind and rain, though I would only use it during the day. It's extremely easy to erect and to put away.

D

David OLoughlin

Okay so maybe this is the shelter for me. Any tips on how to convince the boss (bearing our second child), that it isn't a certain type of building found in Amsterdam & that I really, really do need a new brolly?
Otherwise anyone know where I can buy one at a reasonable price?
Dave

S

Stewart Bloor

Show her the price of a new bivvie...it'll seem cheap compared to that...

S

Stuart Johnson

David, try Bennets of Sheffield. www.bosfish thet are doing a special offer on Brotel's. Just to echo the others, its light and ten times the cover a brolly gives. Keep your old spike from your old brolly (if its a strong one) as the one with the Brotel is a bit weak. As you are big un u can actually make the thing taller by using two storm rods at the front. A very good buy and u will not go back to a normal brolly.

S

Stewart Bloor

I spent last night out in mine in gale force winds... It held up well, with the storm poles and the guy ropes pegged in, no problem. Even caught some fish as well....I would agree with Stuart though, the back spike is a bit weak. Also the storm pole threads are plastic, could do with brass ones. But apart from that, it's difficult to say anything bad about the Brotel.

D

David OLoughlin

Darlings,
Thank you kindly. ?43.99 sounds good - & what's more the boss may well say yes?
The thing is I spent ?25 on a special offer house, tunnel & tent for the toddler last week. It said 'water resistant' so I tried to sit in it thinking how I could convert it to a bivy. I got told off & evicted, by a nearly 2 year old.
I can see it now ?43.99 - & I'll be competing with Bear, Poo, Maisy ..... etc.
Anyhow thanks for all the advice,
Dave

S

Steve Baker

Wahts the best way to fit storm caps to the brotel? I have two stainless one, will i be able to d rill these out also the pole look a bit fragie and might crack. Any advice will be gratefully accepted.

S

Stewart Bloor

Just realised I've been talking about the Bedchair Brotel, as opposed to the Brotel. I have both, and both are good. But to avoid confusion, you won't get a bedchair in the latter, just the former, hence it's name.

D

David OLoughlin

Cor blimey,good job you're not an estate agent.
Oh sorry, I was thinking about that country home - what you've bought is the shed.
I got my Brotel last week but unfortunately had to return it due to 2 pinprick holes. Will be getting a replacement though as I like the concept.
For those who are interested, after seeing the Brotel in the flesh, I've followed advice & am getting a Gardner brolly pole. Bennetts also sell 'adjustable storm caps' that fit onto the ribs without the need for drilling. They then screw into standard banksticks therefore saving on the price of storm poles.
For anyone else my size (6'7'), it's big enough but the chair legs need to be shortened (super recliner). As someone pointed out if it bucketed down I would have to turn sideways to stay completely dry. But compare this to a Brolly where the ribs mess up your hair & the knees still get wet.

S

Stewart Bloor

Dave, I'm interested in those storm caps you mention that Bennett's do. The ones that come with the Brotel are plastic and re-thread themselves everytime you erect it. They obviously fit the Bedchair Brotel. What are they called exactly by Bennett's so if I get some I can ask for them by name instead of trying to describe what I'm after.

D

David OLoughlin

Sorry chaps I have to cook for the missus.
Now I have these on order, so have not seen them in the flesh. I asked the gentleman at Bennetts about storm caps & storm poles but assured me that these were the boys to use.
His description suggests that they slide on the ribs loose. When the bankstick is screwed on, it tightens the cap so it stays in place. Sounds to good to be true?
Description: Adjustable Storm Caps
Code: WL005
Price: ?8.99
Commission: Just slip a little gift in Mr Bennett

S

Stewart Bloor

Thanks for the info Dave. Could you let us know when they arrive that they are the right ones...I guess you can be our sort of guinea pig to try them out first...but if they aren't the right ones, I'm sure you can bombard Bennett's with multiple letters of complaint....(snigger)

D

David OLoughlin

Cor the pressure, my own 'first look', 'what's hot' or if you read Waterlog 'creaking cane' page.
I was expecting the parcel today but we shall all have to wait. I've just got in after a couple of beers so I hope there won't be too many 'repeats' tonight.

D

David OLoughlin

Have to be patient gentlemen. Bennetts still not recieved my return parcel. To be investigated Monday, but going to take at least a week (I think) if they do find it to get my Brotel & order back to me.