Foot and Mouth Madness?

I

Iain Wishart

How many of you out there are still unable to fish the waters you want because of F&M?
All my local club waters are closed, even those without access across livestock fields. What is the best way of lobbying landowners to convince them the fishery should be re-opened?
I live in Kendal and my local waters are in Cumbria/N.Lancs.I am going crazy not being able to fish evenings after work like i normally do. I expect to have six months of crap weather this far North, but I need to fish from Mid April onwards. I am losing out and need help before i do something silly!!!
P.s if you want some stress relief try Sheepcull.co.uk....

R

Rob Brownfield

I cant get near my local water....and i am nearly 200 miles north of the closest F and M outbreak!!!

D

Del Beckett

notlongmoved into the w sussex area and joined the local club only to discover that most of the waters are closed due tofoot & mouth.After looking round at the clubb waters I can see no logical reason for stopping the fishing and feel the landlords of most fisheries are just being bloody minded and petty.They know that with the waters open or closed they are still going to get the rent so are not unduly worried,I think the clubs should take a firmer stand with these people.and where poss. open upthe fishing for us all.

D

David Will

Things are getting back to normal in the Colne Valley (Herts Bucks Berks).One or two in Cambs that i fish are still closed.The latest newsletter from the Thames area EA looked promising although there is some doubt as to whether all the weirs on the Thames will be open on 16 June.

D

Davy North

Sorry to drag this up again, but hows the F&M situation in your area? We've just had a bad outbreak in North Yorkshire, and another near Darlington. I fear the worst for the 16th.

S

Stewart Bloor

Davy, I think you're right to bring it up, because it's not gone away. Just because it's no longer media news, doesn't mean to say it's not still a problem. I e-mailed John Williams at BAA just yesterday to check on the waters for June 16. I haven't had a reply yet, but it will be interesting to see what the picture is when he gets back.

P

Peter Morton

Davy,dead right to bring this up again.The reason it all but disappeared from the media was because the government wanted it to.With an election coming up its not a good idea to have pictures of thousands of sheep and cattle still being slaughtered splashed all over the media,especially as "Britain is open for business"not exactly a vote winner,showing all and sundrie,what a mess the government has made of handling the whole thing.

And don't forget that if (when!)they get re-elected(with an even larger majority)then they have pledged to reintroduce the bill to ban foxhunting.

Sorry to be so political,as it is not in my nature to be so,but it all seems a bit to coincidental to me,What say you?

PETER

S

Stewart Bloor

Peter, I think it's what you say, although in fairness to the labour government, any party would have taken a similiar line.
However, the prospect of an even bigger majority, as the polls suggest, does concern me. I know this may not sit comfortably with everyone reading this, but, the long term future of angling would be better served with a Conservative government.
I know there'll be mails saying that Labour has pledged the future protection of angling and so on. I know that. But, its true to say that most opposition to angling would be from the left wing.

S

Stewart Bloor

My first line should read 'Peter, I think it's true what you say'...

P

Peter Morton

Stewart,thanks as i said,i am not a political person by nature,but as you say the vast majority of opposition to angling will come from the left wing.It will do nobody any good to have a government with such a large majority that they can drive any measures through parliment they choose,because they have no opposition to speak of.

D

Davy North

Politics hmmm, I'm not overly political, but I could not ever bring myself to vote Tory. However if most of the anti angling clap trap comes from the left wing then maybe it's a good job Mr Blair is the most right wing Labour Prime minister I can think of. I knew there must be some good in there somewhere.

I've said it before angling crosses all political divides. Living in a strong Labour area, most of my fishing friends are also Labour supporters, not that it's something I bother talking about on the bank. Although I live in a strong labour area I've never seen an anti. There was some bother a few years back at some local matches in a public park, these came to nothing and fizzled out.

I think the trouble would come from what I would call the New Labour "lovies" rather than the "Traditional" labour (can I use the term) working class supporter. And at the end of the day it's the people of this country who would decide to ban angling not some braided haird prat with a hooter, or some band waggon jumping celebs.

It's up to us as anglers of what ever political view to stand up for our sport. No one else will do it for us.

D

Davy North

Well it looks as bad I thought. None of the Yarm AC river stretches will be open on the 16th, and it looks like none of the Middlesbrough AC one will either.

P

Peter Morton

Davy

Sorry to hear that.We seem to have got off pretty lightly down here in the south east.Strange how the whole thing seems to have disappeared from the media though,only a couple of column inches tucked in the middle pages about the latest outbreak?I still don't feel that the powers that be have this under contol.I only hope that anglers don't get used as scapegoats if the whole thing flares up again after the 16th june?

Keep your fingers crossed,and Good Luck to everyone that can get on a river on the 16th.

PETER.

J

john conway

Iain, the Lancaster canal it open up to Tewitfield Locks, some good catches of tench in the last couple of weeks up to 6lb and I had a 13.5lb mirror out of the canal last week. The Lansil stretch of the Lune will be open on the 16th and day tickets are available. Email me and I’ll give you details if you want?