How long and how often

J

john conway

One thing about the summer is you can fish an all nighter getting the best of dusk and dawn without having to take any sleeping gear. Because of job commitments this means it has to be a weekend and my preference is Friday night.
Spring and Autumn it’s getting to the river with enough light to chose a swim and bait up, then fish up to 10:30pm to 11:00pm giving me about an hour to drive home. I may play little mind games with myself, if after 10:00 I don’t get a bite in the next 30 minutes I’ll pack up and if I do, I’ll carry on until I get 30 minutes without a bite.
Mid winter it’s fishing the swims I can get to safely in the dark but cutting out the mind games, generally too bl**dy cold.

B

Big Rik

explain Ron?

FYI
All my short session fishing, e.g. summer dawn and dusk sessions are for targetting tench/bream and when the rivers open it will be barbel.
Longer sessions on the lakes are for cats in the summer and carping later in the year.
What's the point of me posting on the coarse board that I fish 72 hour sessions for carp?

B

Budgie Burgess

My session length over the years I have been fishing has varied from a couple of hours stalking pre/post work too several months solid on the bank! All relative to each particular situation.

N

Nick Austin 2

Depends on my shifts!.
If i'm on earlies, i finish at two, so fish from about 4o'clock on till 9 or 10.

Lates i can fish in the morning till about 1o'clock lunchtime.

Nights, i fish in the evening before work (10'oclock)

Days, i rarely bother in the week, and stick to weekends...

I try to get out twice a week... short sessions on the river, mayby 4 or 5 hours on a lake.

A weekend day is normally mid morning till 9 or 10 oclock!..

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
On the lake, Saturday early am till Sunday 12.00pm On the river Sat' 12.00 till at least 1 or 2 hours in to dark.
I fish the odd Friday or evening in the summer if I can, will fish week days when not at work.

P

Phil Hatton

the last two or three seasons I have fished early sessions, 3-4am to lunch, or overnights, 4ish to 10am. This year because of the new shift pattern we are working I have been struggling to get out at all. The last two weekends I have opted for a short Sunday night session, 3-4 hours. The weekend circus has moved off by this time, there's loads of bait gone in and it's nice and quiet. Last week I had three good fish and nearly did a new pb, yesterday I had the best tench session of my life. There may be something to this change in my usual habits.

B

Budgie Burgess

If Im honest most of my sucsess has come by having been able to fish during the week for the last 15 or so years.It gives you a great advantage.

S

Shrek

I will either go fishing straight from work in which case I arrive at 5 and fish till about 9 or. I go on a Saturday morning, arriving at 6 and fishing till about 12.

I'd like to get out once a week, but at the moment, with two very young daughters, it works out about twice a month.

S

sash

Fully agree with that Budgie. Working for myself gives me the advantage (and it definately is one) of getting out for the odd overnighter midweek before leaving perhaps a touch later than I would have had to in previous jobs. The only problem is that if you catch it right, the lack of sleep due to constant action can be a bit draining the next day!

R

Rod MacAskill

I used to work alternate weekends and so in mid week would fish long sessions in virtual solitude on normally busy waters. When I got the weekend off I would choose those waters that received little angling pressure - all this due to being an anti social sod. Nowadays my work has changed to a middle management 9-5 job Monday to Friday. As a result of this I always fish on Saturday from anytime until midnight and then intend going again on Sunday. More often than not the second day doesnt happen due to feeling knackered. Not a lot to be said for advancing years!!