How long and how often

Reaction score
Now the summers here I was wondering just how many trips do you make a week to your favorite spot?

How long do you stay? In that I mean in hours ie: is it 4,8,10 or longer.

Do you prefer early morning starts, all day trips, last light only or all night fishing?

Perhaps you just like to dab your float after a days work for an hour or two.

Please post away.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I will go fishing all day, allthough I know that depending where I am, I may not get any action until dusk.
I would sooner be out on the banks than stuck in the house. Usually once a week after the 16th June.

M

mel Crighton

I am usualy on the bank at day break if fishing a river, nothing like watching the sun rise, and spend all day until sun set, beautiful peace,

Then if its a stillwater lake, get there after a hearty breakfast en route, about 9am and stay until dusk or until the bait runs out, which is very rare, and I fish twice a week Tuesdays and Thursdays with the occasional third trip if fishing a club match.

T

The Monk

I used to try and stay on a water from June to october, It all depends upon your lifestyle at the time, if I was restricted because of work committments then I would go for what I would consider the most productive hours, usually dawn and dusk

L

Les Clark

My stints are at best, friday afternoon untill sunday afternoon and one or two stalking session mid week.

M

michael rouse

I start start fishing at 6(even in Winter) and ususlly finish at around half 7 in the evening.If i had the option.I would sleep during the day and only fish at night.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

As long as possible. And since I do not have a missus to answer for, I will carry on doing it.

W

Wolfman Woody

However many hours you guys put in you will never match Stuart's hours.

Him and his dad spend that much time at the fisheries they now take pruning shears with them to cut the roots off their boots before they can go home. :eek:)

If they were to spend any more time fishing someone would have to extend the normal day from it's present 24 hours. I can't keep up with them.

M

mel Crighton

Monkey,

will you get the address off stuart so I can deliver his fishing lodge to his swim,

fully fitted beds and all, and porta potty.

W

Wolfman Woody

His address is his fishery Mel! complete with peg number.......

T

The Monk

time bandits Jeff,

good luck to them,
I`m a reformed time bandit and now lead an healthy normal(ish) life

I`ve seen the light

T

tom riordan

6am morning session till 12 or 4pm till dark. I find the middle of day fairly unproductive. I try to get 1 day a week in somewhere preferably on the Trent or Derwent. If I didnt work away from home all year I would try and get a couple of midweek evenings in as I only live less than a mile from the Derwent.

PTnymph

Reaction score
Depending where I am fishing. Mostly will be 1 hr before dawn right through until 1hr after dusk

Reaction score
All those hours and still I can't catch:)

Jeff I think I have a problem with my emails,they are very slow and I am recieving emails that the yahoo service is saying is a virus.
Have you recieved any emails from me today as I think its going missing some how and have you sent me any?

alan strickland

Reaction score
Depends on what im fishing for,
at the moment im after the tench so i try and get to the venue 1 hour before dawn when its still dark and fish until mid day.
When the rivers open up again i like to start around 3pm and fish until a couple hours after dark.
I try to get out around 3 times a week.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot depends on which river i am fishing and what target species I am pursuing.
Typically though, I will be at the river by 5am and fish through until say 10am. Then I usually go off somewhere and return around 5pm and fish through until almost dark.
I do fish a few Tench sessions during the season where I will bivvy-up but I don't leave the rods out all night preferring to fish until an hour or so after dark and then start again around 4am.
Over the years I have had 2 complete pods, rods, buzzers and reels stolen whilst sleeping, so everything now goes inside the bivvy when I sleep.

If fishing with friends then we usually fish through the day finishing around 8pm in time to get to the pub for a meal and a beer or two.

J

john conway

More or less like Alan Strickland and so far it works out about twicw a week. One weekend day and a mid week evening session.

P

Paul Christie 2

I rarely get to fish for more that 5 or 6 hours at a time.
Sometimes, it's only a quick 2 hours till dark.

Unfortunately (for my fishing that is), my baby boy comes first these days.

Apart from the odd night fishing session for bream, I'm not sure I could do more than 8 hours in one go.

I'm sure it's different if you are using bite alarms, but most of my fishing requires constant concerntration and I couldn't go any longer than 8 hours myself.

B

Big Rik

Summer for me means pre dawn or dusk sessions of 6 to 8 hours.
(4 til 12, either way)
Overnighters are usually from about 4 or 6 til 8am ish.

This is all non-carp.