Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Another eye-opening article from Kevin on the American Red Signal Crayfish threat. But I do wonder just how seriously we are taking this threat. If we Judge by how 'seriously' the Lords took it then I reckon we're in for trouble.

michael rouse Guest

What could happen?

Wolfman Woody Guest

It's amazing that rivers such as the Windrush, Kennet, Cherwell, Thame and several others all have crays and yet there doesn't seem to be any in the Thames itself.

Oooops, have I spoken too soon?

Catch a cray and tread on it, but you're only scratching the surface. You can't rust anglers to take them home, because there will be those who just fancy giving one a go as bait. Even if you don't release it into the wild it could (being a hen cray) be laying eggs all over your fishery.

Even if you were to eradicate them to a point when you were no longer pestered by them, they would still continue breeding and come back. There will always be some left.

Graham, the only people who take it seriously are fishermen and they are literally unable to do anything about it because its illegal to do so. Government ministers, as usual, are totally inept when it comes to foreseeing a disaster and won't act until its too late

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason

Ron Troversial Clay Guest

The only thing I can advise is to catch 'em and boil 'em, in large numbers.

What most do not understand is that these islands cannot tolerate invading species much more. And that goes for all forms of animal life.

...not seen one yet.

Fred Bonney Guest

Keep your fingers crossed John,because if they turn up in your lovely rivers,they'll cause you know end of grief.

The Thames section that runs pass Oxford Town has its fair share of them crays.

Wolfman Woody Guest

I did speak too soon. I heard tonight that there are lots of crays around Medley on the Thames as well.

Blog Entries

Graham,

I imagine that any serious angler will take this potential threat to our fisheries seriously. The only problme I foresee is that we (collectively) will temper this with our usual complacency based (incorrectly) on the premise that either the EA, the larger Angling Associations or (even more incorrectly) that the government will do something about this problem.

I am as guilty as most when it comes to not being prepared to actively involve myself in these, and similar, issues.

Like JP I have not seen any in the chalk streams that I fish, although I have witnessed the catching of a few at a CAC lake last season in Hampshire.

Until, and unless, the angling public have a strong and credible voice that the government cannot ignore, then absolutely nothing is (or will) be done about the Signal Crayfish problem.

Given the absence of such a credible voice, then maybe the Angling Press could organise at least a petition for their readership to sign and send to the Parliament.
    I do not believe that it is too much to ask of these publishing houses given the profits that they makle from the ordinary angler.

Or, is it?

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast