Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi folks

I've recently rekindled my interest in Barbel after 10 or so years in the (Pike) wilderness.

Reading whatever information I can, it seems that modern tactics are mainly based around pellets/ boilies, often with a 2 rod approach. This is rather different from my old hemp/ luncheon meat or hemp/ worm with single rod tactics from the past.

Question: Do you consider the 'old' tactics to be inferior to the more modern methods? Is there still scope for reasonable catches, or are barbel on popular rivers conditioned to pellets/ boilies? Does any perceived etiquette exist that promotes or downgrades either method?

I'd be delighted to get all you views.

Thanks in advance.

Oh by the way I used to fish the Dane, my targets will be the upper Severn, the Dove and maybe the Ribble, if that effects any of your thinking!

I only fish two rods only when I think I'm going to really struggle for some action. If I'm expecting bites then I fish one rod so I can concentrate on it properly.

I'm happy for people to use whatever methods they like as long as it doesn't harm the fish and they don't impede anyone else's judgement.

The "old" methods still work at the right time and in the right place, but if you don't use them wisely you will blank, just as you can with boilies and pellets.

I don't fish the rivers you mention but on the Avon & Stour using meat during the day in clear water will not catch you many fish.

Big baits in general are best left till after dark or for floodwater, particles will usually catch fish in daylight, but again used wisely, it does depend to a certain extent on the number of fish competing for your bait and how often they've been caught before.

I don't do ettiquete, so you're on your own with that one.

Hi Ric.
    I have just completed my first season on the Lower Ribble. Pellets outfished everything.

Maggots, Castors and hemp worked during the day in low conditions but once the sun dropped out came the eels.

Never had a touch on meat at all. A mate had a good night with chub on Bakers complete with the Chub 5 between 5Ib and 6.5Ib but no Barbel.

Tried various bollies no Barbel just Chub

John Howard Guest

I have read the posts correct havent I??????? Bryan Baron2 fished the Ribble during the close season?

John how do you work that out.
    For your information i have not stepped foor on the bank since the beginning of March.

Wolfman Woody Guest

Yes, he never said that! He said "just completed my first season", which ended in March. I'll stick up for your Bryan, just as I did before!!! Stand on me.

All's fare in love, war, and barbel fishing. I would only ask "What the hell do you think you're doing?" if I saw FOUR rods out on bit alarms and you bivvied up for a week. Only because I wouldn't see the sense in it.

Meat never does as well through the day, in my reckoning. Small boilies (I'm giving The Source a crack this year), pastes, maggots, casters even. If it gives you confidence, give it a try.

John Howard Guest

sorry mate its my eyes. I read season as session.

john conway Guest

My opinion is you fish whatever method you’re happy with, which ever method puts fish on the bank, with the over riding proviso that you don’t harm the fish, environment or cause your fellow anglers any inconvenience. Having said that some anglers get upset if you just look at them the wrong way or your attire is unconventional.
    What is controversial are long sessions in one swim. Not that the traditionalist of years ago didn’t spend very long sessions on the river bank, it’s just that with modern gear and equipment it’s much easier and more comfortable to fish long sessions and therefore more people do it, hence the problem.
    One thing about fishing is nothing stays the same and one method may be great for a short while but eventually the river will change, big fish come and go in cycles, new species become dominant, so we have to change with the river or we’ll just become moaning old farts.

Cheeky Cheers mate. But you had better not visit us on the Ribble. One stretch i fish you can count at least a half dozen bivvies with rods on buzzers from the car park up the river at the weekend. There was one guy fishing buzzers in a fast streamy section his alarms were constantly giving little bleeps. I asked do you not get sick of this. His reply was no it keeps me awake. I walked away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast