Holiday Hell

J

James Townsend

Me and a long time fishing mate of 35 years are hacked off with booking fishing breaks that are a massive disappointment - venue crap/accom crap etc. We wondered if any of you could recommend as tried and tested venue? Our ideal is a self catering, riverbank side barbel/chub venue with the stretch to ourselves. Don't mind what area of the country it's in and will pay what it takes for private, quiet banks. Thanks and looking forward to your suggestions. Jim.

R

Richard Huggett 1

Jim, me and 'er indoors have been going to a place in Devon called South Farm. It's just outside Honiton, about ten minutes off the main road through to Exeter.

We've been for the last four years now and it's brilliant...five s/c chalets, four lakes, right out in the sticks mate, peace and quiet supreme. Buzzards, deer, all sorts of wildlife, night fishing allowed, dogs allowed, things for the family to do whilst you are on the water...great.

Check out www.southfarm.co.uk ...good luck.

See you there maybe...??

B

Big Rik

think he wanted a river, or stillwater barbel and chub maybe.

Hutch

Reaction score
James, there are some nice cottages for rent on the riverside at Highley on the Severn, on the Ship Inn stretch, not sure who to contact though (Ship Inn maybe) this gives good access to any where between Bridgenorth and Bewdley, with good fishing if the River is right.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
James,

Before I finally decided upon where in Wiltshire I wanted to live (and fish) I used several of the cottages on this site to sort of test out different areas.

I was always very satisfied with the cottages and mostly managed to find one very close to where I wanted to fish.

I don't know how to do the prpoer link thing, but here is the URL:

Cottages

Good luck in your search.

J

James Townsend

Thanks all -

Hutch, I heard about these cottages in Highley after emailing Anglers Mail, sounds good, I contacted The Ship Inn and am waiting for the postman to arrive with info.

Richard, thanks for the suggestion but I'm looking this year for a river break, maybe next summer.

Peter, I've started hunting through your suggested site, let's see what comes up.

Cheers,
Jim.

J

John Lock

> Me and a long time fishing mate of 35
> years are hacked off with booking fishing > breaks that are a massive disappointment

Jim, have you considered buying a cheap caravan?

> venue crap/accom crap etc.

If the venue is no good just hitch up and move elsewhere. Also, you can make the accom in the caravan as comfortable as you want.

> Our ideal is a self catering, riverbank
> side barbel/chub venue with the stretch
> to ourselves.

There are thousands of caravan/camping sites in UK and many have access to fishing on site or very close to site. One I use is Dobbs Weir caravan site. I step out of the caravan, walk 20 to 100 yards (depending where I'm pitched) and I'm on the bank of the River Lea a few yards downstream from Dobbs Weir itself (there are barbel there + Tim Archer's record Chub - now superceded - was caught there last year). No need to hump tons of tackle to the swim, if I forget something I just amble back and get it (same for meals, toilet, something good on telly, etc). Getting a caravan needn't be expensive (2nd hand 'vans aplenty are around) and since you're paying ?500/600 for a week in a s/c cottage, you'd soon cover your costs as most caravan sites only charge between ?10/20 a night, including hook-up to mains electricity.