It's lobworm night!

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Don't waste your evening on the computer or watching the news. Get out there now and grab a few lobworms. The rain has brought them right out of their burrows all opver my lawn.

You can store them a few days in moss or shredded newspaper in a plastic or wooden box in a cool place or in a fridge on a low setting (i.e. not too cold a setting).

Great for those early-season tench.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Good advise Mark, they cost about 15p each and the cost can mount up for a session, so get 'em whilst you can. John Wilson keeps them in a large wooden box (a lid on top & bottom) with shredded paper in, just turn it over and take what you need for a session.

Remember to remove dead or dying ones as soon as possible as they seem to kill of the others very quickly otherwise.

Dave Burr

Reaction score
I used to collect mine from the grass verge outside of a college in Taunton. The reaction from the public - often drunk - that passed was interesting.

"You alright mate?""

"Yes, I'm fine thanks."

"Yer lost summet?"

"No"

"What are ya doing then?

"Looking for worms"

"Are you taking the .......?" Advances in aggressive stance.

A bucket full of worms usually calmed the situation but I don't think that the general public understand us fishy fellows. :)

coelacanth

Reaction score
I was challenged by the police as a teenager for walking slowly along the pavement at the edges of lawns, the first one out of the car thought I was stoned or mad but the other one was also an angler and was impressed by my haul.
Last night might have been good for lobbies but it was also good for slugs, my gear was covered with them as I was packing up at "sunset". Not nice to sling a quiver over your shoulder and feel something cold and slimy compress against your neck. Made me think of journalists and politicians.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I look for them in the loacal kindergarten. Much of the grass is rubbed away by small feet, and they are easy to spot at night. To stop speculations: My daugther attends the kindergarten. It's a parentalgoverned kindergarten, so I'm a shareholder. And head of the arrangement committee. And the staff is informed.
You've gone to great lengths to explain yourself there Harvey, collecting worms is explanation enough for us mate :)

The local park was good enough for me when I was younger, but the interest Dave had from the public is, unfortunately, universal. It's great at chucking out time when a dozen or so well meaning lads are staggering and falling about helping you whilst there taxi is coming...... I collected lobs from the garden after a while, takes a bit of preparation but less singing is involved.

coelacanth

Reaction score
A previous house was situated near a cemetery, which was, oddly, a fantastic place to dig for worms, especially the yellowtails which for me are a bait worm par excellence. Can't imagine what attracted the worms so much.
Had to be surreptitious though, running round cemeteries with a spade sometimes raises suspicion....

nicky

Reaction score
as it happens i have recently started collecting lobs after buying a puppy its a good excuse to take him for a late night walk around the estate and i did get 18 lobs last night but i do feel a bit self conscious crawling around the grass at half eleven alwys end up seeing someone who wants to know what you are doing, or even better dont even tell them just let them guess what you are doing with a torch on your head a container and a pair of white cotton michael jackson gloves on

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I was challenged by the police as a teenager for walking slowly along the pavement at the edges of lawns, the first one out of the car thought I was stoned or mad but the other one was also an angler and was impressed by my haul.

I've had that very situation too but I can top it...lol

I had to appear in court for trespassing on the railway embankment, behind my house. It was the best lobworm patch in the UK...:rolleyes:...and I had it perfectly maintained, with a rake, carpet, slabs, the lot...it was perfect. I used it for years and then one day 2 cops suddenly appeared. When they asked what I was doing, I showed them my pot of worms and said I was going fishing. Now this bit of ground is actually about 25 feet from the line. Not really a danger at all. They asked where I lived and I turned round and pointed at the house. They were so annoyed but not at me. Annoyed that they had already called for a van and couldn't turn it away and so I had to appear in front of the magistrates. It was the most embarrassing appearance ever. I had to go over this all in a public gallery. Tell the junkies, robbers, grafters and general misfits that I was there for digging worms. Not cool I can assure you.

£100 fine I got! Can you believe it? For a pot of lobs. Most expensive lobs I've ever bought.