South African Angling Safari

R

Ron Clay

Happy memories, happy days. Maybe I'll see all this again in October

T

Trevor Babich

Hi Ron,
I am busy packing to take up a S.A. develpment team to The Ugezi Tigerfish International up in Mocambique at Cahorra Bassa.
It will be quite a trek because the Moz roads were damaged in the floods and the saying goes if you see two furry ears in the road it is not a rabbit but a giraffe standing in the potholes.
We have to go via Zim but the problem is that they do not have any fuel and because we are towing boats we have to carry plenty of spare.
The 4 guys in the team have never fished for the awesome tigerfish before and are in for a helluva suprise.
Barry Kemp will also be out here roundabout the time you arrive.
Graham thanks for putting up my story, only one problem the pics dont upload on my iMac.
Hope you fisherfolk can get back to some good fishing what with the floods an foot and mouth, and your politicians spouting so much hot air that it is sure to contribute considerably to global warming

Regards,

Trevor

L

Leon Foreman

Trevor, good luck with the development team up north. Heard a discussion on RSG Last week sometime and it seems they are actually doing great work. Hope our woman folk are doing just as well in this feild. May the potholes be far and few in between, the african sun gentle and the beer cold. Tight lines and God's speed to you on your journey.

R

Ron Clay

I think it might be a good idea to introduce Trevor Babich properly to the anglers of Britain. Trevor is to South African Anglers what **** Walker was to ourselves. In a nutshell Trevor has done the lot, from carp fishing to yellowfish, from trout on the fly to huge catfish and tigerfish in the Zambesi.

In addition Trevor has been very years very involved in the competitive angling scene, especially from a boat angling veiwpoint.

He was, for many years and in fact probably still is, the Chairman of the Johannesburg Rand Piscatorial Association, an organisation that is probably the most forward thinking of all clubs in South Africa. They even have a Specimen Section and I think it would be true to say that the RPA pioneered trout fishing with the fly in the Eastern Mpumalanga area many years ago.

Trevor was of course at the helm when these developments took place. I was also very proud to have been part of it.

L

Leon Foreman

Ron, I think one of the big problems we are facing in SA is that we are starting to loose our legends or rather the knowledge of them. If you use names like TRevor Babbich and Flip Joubert you dont get reaction from most young SA anglers because they just dont know about these people. I think it a case of very few publications and Angling is drowened out by more sensation news of Death destruction and the numurous political debackles. Alltough SA has many anglers we have few dedicated anglers that promote the sport as it should be. In short angling, especially coarse fishing is becoming a leasure activity rather than a sport.