Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    John Hepworth Guest

Can anyone give the approx cost per day for the hire of a digger, with driver.
    My club are in the process of extending a small back water and also have plans to create a new water at the same venue.
    The Club Sec is fannying about but never gets very far as to the likely cost.

I seem to recall that Jeff/CM has had some experience.
    Any advise would be appreciated. We would also need the use of a dumper to shift the removed material about the site.

John,

You are asking a question with a lot of possible answers. The size of a digger varies from a mini-digger as used for house foundations, through JCB to diggers with 11m and even 18m arms. Even a reasonable sized one can cost at least 500 per day. Other dependency is how far it needs to be transported, whether mats are needed on soft ground. The best way is to invite the manager of a local digger firm, close to where you want to dig, to the actual site. explain what you want and get him to quote. He will know what size digger is needed, how many days, cost of removing material etc., even if the job is feasible i.e. whether you can get a digger in safely. You might even need a dragline.

We have had a days work done for as little as 300 as a favour but last time it cost 1850 because we had a digger with a long reach plus mats. Dredged material was spread on site. Permission was needed from landowner, EA and English Nature as on SSSI.
    Hope this helps but you do need expert advice. regards Mark

John Hepworth Guest

Thank's Mark.
    We actually own the site which is a SSI, all the plans have been passed by the EA English Nature and the total amount of material to be excavated has been calculated.
    I only asked the question becaase all we ever get from the club Sec is waffle. We have money in the bank from the sale of land at the site but almost a year on nothing is happening and members are begining to ask why not.

John, another consideration is the dumper, if you can get a tipper wagon on site, there will be a big time, (and monetary), saving while the digger is stood waiting for the dumper to discharge, also could examine possibility of selling top-soil to help defer cost.
    Some people are so poor, that all they have is money

jason fisher Guest

john type excavator hire into altavista and you will get a shedload of links to hire companies,
    i've just been looking for one of the smallest ones 1.5tonne and it came out around 65 per day self drive with delivery for the digger.

Mel Crighton Guest

John, Is there a Royal engineers depot near you they may be able to help, they do a fair bit of community work , my local Regiment did the ground work at the Childrens Hospice, all we had to provide was the materials most of which were donated by local business I know that this may be a different situation but if you dont ask.

John Hepworth Guest

Thank's for the info all.
    Mel, I seem to recall that a local club enlisted the help of some regiment a few years ago.

Mel Crighton Guest

John, They are always up for a challenge, call it community building, give them a call, you may be surprised by the response.

JOhn as Mel said ask the local engineers. I know its not a hospital but you can offer to hold a match on there every year with the proceeds going to the charity they are supporting at the time. Or offer free fishing for there regiment.

Titus Anarsus Guest

SO where are you going to dump the waste?

Don't forget dumping fees and landfill tax. You might get away with soem of it if it's inert material and a local waste management company needs it for capping other sites.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast