Fibreglass to make a quiver tip

C

Coops

I broke my Fox barbel plus avon top a few weeks ago. I have a replacement now, but seeing as I broke the old one about 14 inches from the top I thought I might splice in a fibreglass quiver tip that's a bit softer than the 5oz carbon tip that comes with the standard quiver section.

Does anyone know where I can get a length of fibreglass to splice in?

M

Mel Crighton

Boot Fairs and Flea markets, picked up a few old rod from these places in the past, for just the same reason.

Hope it helps Mel.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
Coops hi ,if your local tackle shop carn't help then what you could do is look in the
local cheep shops/woolworths ect for one of those paphetic fishing kits that sell for around ?6 as these are fibreglass and the top section should be ok to use (throw the rest in the bin)strip of the eyes and give it a light sanding to take the shine of the surface then drop it down the inside of your rods blank and pull hand tight only and mark were it meets the cut of end of rod (you should of by now cut and
chamford the end)then push the quivertip
back down and out find the mark and cut off
2-3 inches below this .then re-incert your
new quiver section (dont glue it!!)and pull
it tight into position then whip over the join this will be strong enougth to hold it
and if you should ever snap it again then its a easy job to replace.arildite on a tip ring and superglue on the intermeidates
lining them up with the rods other rings and whip them on then paint it white (hi-gloss)2-3 coats and a final lacquar coat .
it should have a test curve of about 2-3oz.

i hope this is of some help

T

tom riordan

I have found a site that sells spare quiver tips here
although judging from the picture they look like a put over fit rather than an insert type. I like chavenders repair description though, I have copied it to file for future reference as I have already bust two tips off my jw quiver so I will be due a new set soon.

J

John Howard

I would use hot melt glue for the tip ring, as its easier to remove and salvage the ring for further use. Rather than superglue, shrink tubing would do the job on the other rings.

C

Coops

Thanks everyone, blackcatbaits seem to have what I want and Budgie and Chavender the building tips. FM reliable as ever. Cheers.

S

Stuart Harvey

I emailed blackcats for a replacement tip myself but their supplier has gone bust. I'll have another look.

L

Laurie Harper

Hopkins and Holloway are excellent - have built all my own rods for the last ten years and they've always come up with the goods. Their catalogue includes a useful section on whipping, fitting/making rod handles, etc. Also can recommend Len Head's book, "Rod building and repair" form Crowood. Paperback and cheap. If you only do one repair, it'll pay for itself.