CARP ANGLER

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Maybe Rik we can help you with a bit of advice now and then in your new ventures. To re-pay all the help you have offered through your articles and in the threads. We are by no means experts but between us you should be able to pick up a few pointers.

S

Skive

Nice article mate.

Hope to be comong down your neck of the woods towards the end of the year for ago at those Chub. Meet up?

B

Big Rik

Still waiting Murray.....

Stu, no worries mate, call me when you have dates.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Me and Rik are the best of mates and are very close both in and out of fishing. I for one know his exact reasons for pulling out and I'm lucky to be one of the few who'll still be carp fishing with him in his private sessions.

It's a real sad and big loss to the carp forum and community, although I fully support his actions and reasons why. For the record there are many fools out their both in the commercial and non commercial arena of carp fishing who talk a good story but never deliver!!!

My hat goes off to the Big Man who's had two forty's off the top totalling over 90lb in one session and to the Big Man who could put pretty much any other 'so-called commercial' carp angler to shame on his bottom captures!

Respect and well wishes mate, see you soon!

C

clicktochange

I for one think the golden age of FM, at least on the Carp thread, was when you and Stu carried on that interview thing... it stimulated a lot of interest on the thread I thought. A lot of that interest seems to be lacking these days.

I hope you continue to contribute, as you say you will. I've benefited as much as anyone from your suggestions which are always thought provoking. It would be a great shame if you disappeared altogether!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm really sorry to hear this from Rik. Not that he's taking a greater interest in species other than carp, but that he may not be contributing carp fishing articles to FM.

As one of the best, deep-thinking carp anglers I've ever met (and there are not many I haven't met) it's a serious loss to carp fishing, not to mention FM.

I agree with 'clicktochange', the interview articles with Stu Dennis (another forward thinking and successful carp angler) are amongst the best articles on the site - and anywhere else come to that.

It always saddens me when a particular branch of angling attracts selfish people that drive out anglers like Rik who are prepared to share their knowledge so willingly.

I understand where he's coming from, but I hope he reconsiders, at least to some extent, so that we don't lose his already vast knowledge of carp fishing, and can share his forward thinking in future.

Carp fishing can't afford to lose anglers like him. It is they that drive the sport forward, not those who huddle in secrecy and spend most of their time boasting about their captures and contributing nothing to their sport.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Graham,

Good points well made, but at the end of the day Rik has just seen the light.

Forget those pigs with fins and look forward to barbel, chub, bream, tench, etc...now for some REAL fishing..

go Rik go ;o)

Y

yoggy

I agree with Gary, this is a totally different type of fishing for Rik and i wish him well,,,my personal carp fishing i do enjoy even though my experience is somewhat limited compared to my river fishing,,river fishing for me is "pure fishing"!!,,everyone has their favorite type of method,venue,and species,,,you just cant beat reeling in a chub,roach,barbel from an idylic stretch of river,,good luck mate.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's not a totally different type of fishing for him, as those of us who have fished for barbel, bream, catfish, etc, with him will testify. My point is that it would be a pity if his increased interest in other species detracted from his valuable input to carp fishing. What's wrong with being an all-rounder and writing about all species?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Every one is talking as if Rik hasn't fished for anything else but carp ...He is an accomplished angler in most species ..

F

Frothey

just look through his articles....cats, bream, grayling, carp. he's talked about roach and tench on here...he's an all rounder already.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

"accomplished"

Thats stretching it aint it?

Thats like calling Roto interesting!

;o)

J

jason fisher

well Rick is still contributing to the forum at the moment and though riks articles are good. his greatest contributions for me have been on the forum, there's some things he has said that have really made me think about my approach to certain situations.
if carp fishing doesn't float his boat anymore then so be it, i'll just look forward to his article about his first 3lb roach from the hampshire avon.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Whatdya reckon Rik? Shall we do one more series of articles before you hang up your boots and retire to gudgeon taming?