CARP ANGLER

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rik,
I certainly do wish you all the very best in your new venture. And I hope we can look forward to an article or two from you.
I'm not the best of anglers but I do enjoy my river fishing, and I may even start to target roach again, not so much target them but just simply fish for them.
All the very best to you. I'm sure you will be just as succesfull .

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is wishing you every success in your new quest Rik.

The invitation for a day or two on the Hale is always open, so just let me know when you fancy taking on some very difficult Barbel, and only slightly easier Chub.

F

Frothey

hope you find a new fire Rik......and dont get too annoyed with those river carp!

senan ensko

Reaction score
About two years ago I found that I wasn't enjoying my angling as much as I used to. Still enjoyed being out & catching but the challenge wasn't really there any more.So I packed away the float & feeder rods, went off and bought a spinning rod and a fistful of lures. I haven't looked back. Since then my catch rates have dropped and my blanks have increased but I have enjoyed every minute of learning a new angling skill.
Rik I hope you really enjoy the change and the new challenges that it will bring.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Rik,

Unfortunately there are quite a few know -all barbel anglers as well!

Interesting what you say about pre-baiting.I think for barbel it very much depends where you are fishing.In my limited experience where the fish are seeing a lot of bait it can be counter -productive & often an isolated bait seems to work better.

Good luck with your new angling venture, especially with the roach.I made a decision to target them last winter with very limited success but enjoyed the fishing a lot.

R

Robert Woods 1

Rik,
I've seen the light this season...gone back to rivers mainly after barbel. Enjoyed fishing without carrying the kitchen sink.

Bob.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Rik,
I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever species you lay your stall out for. I fish for anything wet and love every session (some more than others) but when someone as skilled as yourself applies their tactics and thought process to other species I'm sure the 7lb chub is just around the corner.

Tight lines.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Good Luck Rik in your quest for some 'proper fish'(I think Ron has finally talked you round)!!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Rik. Welcome to the realme of the all round angler.
I hope you will keep the articles coming. If you put the same thought process to work that you used in your Carp fishing i am sure we will be getting some interesting articles.
I set myself 2 targets this year a Barbel over 10Ib and a Chub over 6Ib. I have managed the barbel already 10.2Ib so my year can only get better.

N

Nigel Moors 2

"this year I?ve set my stall for a 7lb+ chub.

If I can achieve that target, then I?ll be happy"

It seems you can't totally get rid of the carp angler!

Just kidding Rik, from what I've read you'll do well. Watch out for those self professed barbel knowitalls as Nigel O' says...there's just as many of them about.

R

Richard Huggett 1

The barbel police are on stand by...

Good luck mate.

D

Deecy

Good luck, but I am afraid the people who get your goat in the Carp world have relatives in the Barbel,Tench,Bream,Roach, Chub,match,Sea and Game world too.

jp

Reaction score
Welcome to proper fishing Rik, and good luck.
I'm still looking for that 7lb chub, but I want it from the Avon.(6oz to go and 2oz on the Stour)

B

Big Rik

thanks to all for your good luck wishes

the thing is, I can keep away from the muppets when I'm on the river.

As for the barbel pre-baiting, the areas I'll be baiting see very little angler pressure and then it's only casual.

The roach excite me a lot, especially on the Avon, I've yet to have a really good one, but some of the silouettes I've seen porpoising at dusk make me want to have a serious go for them this winter.

J

jason fisher

sounds like some things hooked rik. i think it might be you.
good luck.

B

Bill Cox

Rik there are a lot on here who because they are willing to listen (read)have learnt a lot from you, i for one have thought your input one of the best things about the site. I for one will be sorry that i no longer have your considerable knowledge to plunder. Good luck mate.

B

Big Rik

Bill

I'll still be on here, offering advice where and when I can, or if I'm asked, I just wont be doing it anymore on the bank.