The BRFC - Time for some changes?

P

Phil Hackett 2

Who knows what the Blackmagic box holds?????????????????

P

Phil Hackett 2

Put another way.....Cat bag....bag cat.......oops it running!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

South Africa by the way never had a rod caught record fish committee as exists in England. They had The SA Anglers Union and record fish were processed by clubs that used to belong to this governing body. This organisation was disbanded some time ago as in its constitution it said that only White people could be members.

Record fish lists in SA were then taken over I beleieve by a branch of IGFA and we all know what these people support:

That's right:line records.

If there is anything that needs banning on a world wide scale in the sport of angling, it is the ridiculous concept of line strength records. Actively encouraging anglers to catch big fish on unsuitable tackle.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

There be some space(s) on the BRFC over the next week or so, maybe they have been taken already, maybe not!!!

Anybody up for it?

B

Big Rik

Yeah, Andy Nellist.
Somebody who knows what they are talking about and who cares that it should be right and accurate. He also has the knowledge to beat up the EA so they get their act in order.

Graham Marsden, because he's a sceptical bugger at best and he also knows what he's talking about.

L

Les Clark

Wol, Keep it simple and in plain English ,not bulshit and bollock`s, then maybe the average angler will take more of a interest.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Andy - like the little mention of NASA just after using Buzz Aldrin as an example. Are we talking about fish records from outer space now?

Sorry...should take this a bit more seriously...although I don think that Rik is correct when he says that not many anglers on the bank care much now. When I was kid I could generally roll off the differing record weights but don't think many anglers acn do that now. Perhaps the reason for this lies with the poor job the BRFC have been doing.

Andy/Graham for the BRFC, certainly. Andy for his undoubted commitment to fishing and Graham for the vast knowledge and experience he'd bring to it.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Just read today's AT. Things are looking serious! Phil Smith resigns. Marsh Pratley threatens to follow...AT editor Richard Lee reckons that responsibility for the BRFC ought to return to the AT fold. I just hope that if AT did take this on that they take on board many of our recommendations especially regarding DNA testing.

J

John Hepworth

Just like to say big thank you to Phil on behalf of ALL of us. Serving on any committee can be unrewarding at times, but with such an inward looking body such as the BRFC it must have been soul destroying at times.
AT, I think not!

J

jason fisher

Phil Smith resigns. Marsh Pratley threatens to follow.
there's an upside to everrything then

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

I totally agree with John.

It's the BRFC that has let us down over and over again not Phil and Marsh. Indeed they have done a great deal of excellent work over the years verifying records.

When NASA ran the list it was run efficiently, had credability. Its time the SAA take back the job with Marsh and Phil on on a committee made up entirely of freshwater anglers.

J

John Hepworth

What Andy say's is the most simple and obvious solution, each representative body to administer its own record list. S&T for game, NFSA for sea and SAA for specimen coarse. The NFA can look after the bleak, tommies and gudgeon.

N

Nigel Moors 2

The problem with the NFA or any other body looking after gudgeon, bleak et al is that it's one more body involved in maintaining a record list. Are they going to have the same criteria as the SAA? Don't think too many people are worried about records for these fish but they are coarse fish so should come under one umbrella or else we will have gotten rid of one committee and ended up with two. After all to be a record gudgeon or bleak it is by definition a 'specimen', therefore it should all be under SAA control

J

John Hepworth

Nigel, The NFA gudgeon etc, was just my funny? sense of humour.

J

jason fisher

i'm not so sure about the suitability of a person for the job of record keeping, when the same person lost the lease to a large part of their business premises because they forgot to renew it.
don't get me wrong i think the person is a nice bloke from when i have met him, but possibly not suitable for the job.

and the circus hasn't got anything on phil smith, there's a man with direct information to where the next possible record came from, why shouldn't he be on the water fishing for that very same species within 24 hours of being informed.
when the very large perch rumour came out last year guesss who one of the people seen speculating for perch were, yep phils your man.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Jason, dont understand your last comment with regard to Phil?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
By way of a caveat let me say that I know precious little about record fish, other than what is published in the media. Typically this is who caught what, where and when.

Mark's article and Andy's comments have made me think a little on this subject.
Personally, I don't think I'd even bother to apply for any record as I am not that bothered to tell the truth, with a record for the sake of the record!

That said, can anyone tell me who actually empowered the current body with the ownership and administration of the record fish list?
Also, is there anything to suggest that more than one body can not have different lists, using different criteria to authenticate the applications?
This might be a little like the various "champions" in the boxing world, however, it might go some way to solving the problem.

On the question of hybrids, why is there not a record for cay a roach/bream (or any other) hybrid? After all, as a sub species maybe they should be considered as well.

In the final analysis I think Andy has it totally correct when he says that whoever administers this list has to do it efficiently and with a high degree of credibility, otherwise, why bother?

Phil Smith 2

Reaction score
For Jason's information I would relate one of the main aspects of being a BRFC official. All venues given as part of a claim is done so in the strictest confidence, that means I would not go to a venue based on knowlege gained through a claim.
Of course Jason is one of those lily white anglers that never go to a fishery following a report of a good fish or the fact that the venue in question has a track record of producing better that average fish for the area. Still some anglers are happy to catch 6lb barbel and 5lb tench along with other fish of similar sizes. I prefer to catch big fish and if information is available on the open market I feel free to make use of it.
What does seem to get lost in all of this is that many of the venues are well known big fish spots that I along with many other big fish anglers have fished for many years, often being amongst those that made them famous in the first place. Anglers move on to them unaware of our previous conection and then seem amazed when we go back to a well known spot.
In my writing for magazines etc I try to be reasonably free with information of waters where if will not impact unfairly on those fishing there. These are mainly club and day ticket venues but of coarse no one would make use of this since they would be accused of being part of the circus!
A well known problem of these web forums is that it allows the same wingers to air their distorted veiws. Look through the sites and see the same names appearing time and time again, no wonder the majority of anglers leave them alone.
I would thank those who gave a positive reply to the work done by myself and other s over the years and invite the wingers to get onto committees and guiding bodies to see what life is like at the sharp end.