The BRFC - Time for some changes?

J

jason fisher

phil, i'm just very aware of you'r reputation amongst people who actually know you quite well or should i say your local anglers. i personally have never seen you fishing a certain piece of water until a record fish was rumoured to have come from it.
after 6 years i tend to know most regulars on a water if i am a regular at that particular water my self, you even get to recognise the occasional visitors.
never in 6 years then within days of a rumour tends to suggest circus like actions.
as far as big fish are concerned no i don't chase other peoples fish, i tend to think that i have the ability to find them by myself.
i speak only from information i have heard first hand from people who know phil personally and from personal experience.
as far as comments on other websites i don't use other site so it is higly unlikely that you would find my name on any of them, but if the same thing is being said in multiple places then just possibly it may have some basis.

J

jason fisher

as far as marsh goes, as i said, to lose a venue because you forgot to renew the lease does display what can only be termed a lack of proper organisation and so does bring into question the suitability for the job.
had the lease not been renewed on commercial grounds then that would have been easily understandable.

the only problem i have with marsh is the attitude of his fishery manager from around 3 years ago and the way that he treats people.
i do not know whether the same manager is still there but after that particular day i said i would never visit that particular water again i haven't.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Phil,

I would welcome your comments on any aspect of the actual article. You've been at the sharp end of this for several years. I've been involved with investigating specimen claims for many years, including book research, and know from bitter experience the difficulties of verifying facts surrounding such captures.
Both Andy and I want to see improvement, though whether this can be achieved through the current BRFC set-up is difficult to know. As you know, some see the SAA taking up the challenge whilst Richard Lee of AT appears to be volunteering to take this forward. What is best?(And is Richard going to comment?)
A copy of the article has been sent today to the BRFC.
I would echo the appreciation of others for all the hard work that you've put into this over the years.

J

jason fisher

after having re read my last posts, i feel their should be some sort of qualified apology on my part.

i didn't want to call into question phils abilities as an angler, they are undoubted, he is a good angler and has in the past pioneered waters to find his own very large fish of many species.
secondly i was voicing my opinion formed from my own experiences and information recieved.
I have never actually met phil face to face but have been on the same waters as him at times shortly after captures of large fish from these waters.
I was also there before if phils appearance on these waters after the capture of large fish was purely coincidence then i apologise to him also.

J

jason fisher

and just another aside to phil yes i am happy catching 6lb barbel and 5lb tench just as happy as when i caught the 12lb thames barbel the 11lb windrush barbel, those 10lb tench from just down the road from marsh the 4lb plus perch from the thames or the close to 7lb chub from a stretch of the thames not at the time noted for the size of it's chub. these are not close to national records but they all still stand as records for the pieces of water which they came from.

J

jason fisher

that's enough said on that methinks, sorry to rant on and on and on.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Who's seen AT this week? It seems that the BRFC have got the crucian/brown goldfish/carp record criteria all sorted, and without scale removal nor DNA testing.....Mark, Andy?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Nigel,

Well spotted! I saw it and have asked Andy for his comments. Phil Bolton reckons 95% accuracy. DNA promises much nearer 100%. Much of the identification relies on colour matching - notoriously difficult with photographs as the films/processing have different colour casts/saturation etc. Also I find it difficult to see whether you'd detect serrated fins from a photo. In my opinion this method would fail completely to detect a F2 hybrid i.e. crucian crossed with a crucianxbrown goldfish. The fish held by Mick Brown? in the AT photo doesn't look much like a ncrucian either from the description given but again there is the colour reproduction to take into account.

Photos can enable the discarding of obvious goldfish or hybrids; it's the subtle ones that can only be DNA tested.

It is high time the Stock pond / Summer Pit fish were DNA tested!

If the BRFC use this method then it won't be long before a hybrid over 5lbs hols the record.

So no, the BRFC haven't got it sorted...

N

Nigel Moors 2

No I didn't think so either, Mick's a great bloke but the way he's holding that fish they used the picture of tends to be more than a little contradictory to what they are saying. Whether fins are serrated, convex/cancave or their colour is impossible. Strikes me that this is not far of the old Alwynne way of doing things. If he said it was a record it was and like you say it won't be long before a 'record' is held by a fish not deserving of it.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Visited the anglers say/poll website click here following the barbel in stillwaters vote. The new poll for this month is regarding volunteers running the sport and Keith Arthur has raised the question
"Would you be prepared to pay a levy of ?10per annum on your rod licence (one-off, no matter how many rods) to support a professional governing body, covering all branches of coarse angling?".

I have had my vote but regarding which thread this is under what do Fishingmagic members think about the possibility of a new governing body possibly taking on and running the whole Records/Claims issue.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Somebody please show me in easy dumbed down steps how I insert short hyperlinks, as you can see from above it still doesn't work for me despite Rik's help.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Nigel, all I've done is add 'target=blank' to your link to open a new window, otherwise it looked okay. Sometimes you just need to refresh the page.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Anyway, regarding your question, I would certainly pay for a professional body to run angling, and yes, I think that body, or a committee under that body, should run the BRFC.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Thanks again old chaps! Anyone else want to comment on the question?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I think it would depend on who the people are that make up the committee/body. The trouble with these 'bodies' is, in general, they're bloody useless (NFA and BRFC are two prime examples). We can all come up with names that would benefit angling and if we had some of the prime movers in fishing on this committee then yes I would pay, otherwise absolutely no chance.