Good Angling Advice

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

If ye be crafty in anglyng ye muft firft leane to mak your harneyff that if to wete your rodde, your linef of divers colours after that you muft know how ye shalle angle in whatt place of the water how depe and what tyme of the day for what mannyre of fyffhe in what weather, how many impediments there bene of fiffhyng that is called anglyng and in specially wythe what bates to every divers fiffhe in every moneth of the year.

Dame Juliana Berners

"The Treatife of Fyffhynge wyth an Angle"

Simple advice and it works.

I just love the old fishing books, don't you?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Anyone(other than Ron of course)read
"The Compleate Angler by Izaak Walton"

I tried, and found it really hard going with all the Olde English spelling .....in fact I didn't really start it ..

L

Les Clark

Ed,I read it year`s ago and it was hard going ,I wouldn`t bother reading it again, but considering when it was written it is quite a achivement.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Absolutely no bloody culture you lot.

I give up.

I thought we could have some honest discourse in Old English to bring a bit of art and culture back into FM.

Waste of time.

Bunch of Philistines.

E

heheheh Splyttinge mye sydes laughynge at Ron

C

clicktochange

DAME juliana Berners!
DAME Juliana Berners!

DAME JULIANA Berners!

SHE was not a bloke - that was IZAAC Newton --- er IZAAC Walton, well-known Royalist sympathiser and angling writer.

In the edition I've got there is a suggestion that the book was written as a code book for use by royalist catholics in the Cromwellian period.

Haven't we always known that there's more to fishing than meets the eye...

I understand he's getting a new column in the Angling Star soon?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I don't think that Walton was a very keen churchgoer. He would rather spend his time on cowslip banks with Venator and in bed beween shirts smelling of lavender with Honest Coridon, to say nothing of his flirtations with a certain milkmaid.

Walton was certainly a Royalist although he kept himself away from the politics of the time, living to a ripe old age, 87 I think which was quite something in those days.

I think he had a wonderful life, amongst the fresh unpolluted countryside and streams of England and quaffing a good honest ale at all the local taverns. I'll bet there were no anti-anglers around in those days, certainly no stink machines nor muggers, nor yobs in baseball caps and tattoos

Any modern angler should do himself a favour and read a little of the "Compleat Angler every day." It tells of a time when life in England was good, as long as you kept out of politics.

L

Les Clark

Ron, you can`t win them all mate,we poor sod`s have trouble with modern english.

E

Ron
"Things isn't as they used to was ...."

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Observations of the umber his teeth, those little ones that he has, are in his throat, yet he has so tender a mouth, that he is oftner lost after an angler has hooked him, than any other fish.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What fisshe is slipperer than an ele?
Ffor when thou hym grippist and wenest wele
Too haue hym siker right as the list,
Than faylist thou off hym, he is owte of thy fyst.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

"And twas nonne fyner thanne ouwr Noble Monk.

To grayte depths hys honnor has thus sunk,

Andde ye Slappyres ruffe do take hys pryde,

And scattere hys virginity yea,

Farre aynd wyde."

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Not up to all this culture are you Richard?
I bet you didn't think we had great poets and literary scholars on FM.

"And yea forsooth we shalt take our respite,

Free from all troubles and taxes.

To one day rise and ride again,

Brandishing our own Ice Axes"

And now I will finish by listening to the final movement of Tchaikovsky's 6 symphony "Pathetique".