Carptastic!

S

sash

Fully agree though, was a cracking fish, well done Mark, but not the Fen record that many seem to believe, but that's all I'm going to / can say on the matter ;@)

D

David Marrs

Hi Sash,

Back off this savo:-(
Still, back in September for some 'hardcore' Zedding, will be back for nearly 3 weeks so hopefully a few Zeds will show!!!

C

Chris Bishop

What I did say, perhaps not clearly enough, is it's the biggest carp from a Fen drain, agree I've heard of bigger from some gravel pits down there somewhere.

It's a bit like the Fen record pike - is it Rob Christen's fish or the Colonel's Pike or the Pisces Lake one..?

Depends where you class the Fens as starting and ending and is a gravel pit pike (for sake of argument...) a true Fen 30.

Dennis Moules classes the Fens as roughly the area between the Nene and the Cut-Off.

Tricky one when there are nearly as many drains north of the Nene as south of it.

mark hodges

Reaction score
well done to Mr B on a monster carp of 43lb from the fens whilst i was fishing at a spot in the fens i noticed 5-6 carp approaching 30lb if not bigger i will not disclose to anyone where i saw these fish as i would not like to spoil the fishing of anglers who have worked hard to catch these fish once again a big shout for Mr B

C

Chris Bishop

I wonder if, bizarrely, the conditions aren't right for the other species to hit super-size in the drains - ie tench and bream regularly hit 6lbs on one of the main drains, but an eight's a monster; whereas the carp have been quietly growing away without anyone fishing for them apart from a few guys like Mark who just get out there and do their own thing.

D

David Marrs

Heyyup Chris and the Sashmeister,

Its an amazing fish made all the more great as a capture because it came to a true Fen all round angler!

There are some cracking Carp kicking around the Fens, I remember one of the real old and bold Fen Zandermen telling me of an immaculate 23lb common he actully caught whilst out Zandering on one of the drains. Every morning for 3 days as he got out of his bivvy to go for a swamp, he saw it swim past. The next morning he was waiting with a lump of floating bread and ambushed it. Apparently it was an absolute cracker, which had most likely never seen a hook!

I prefer to livebait for my Carp, works for me!!! In Nov 99 I landed my biggest ever Carp of 19lbs 4oz on a 2oz Skimmer livebait from the Old Nene! Took a minute or two to get in like....lol

S

sash

Good job it wasn't Bish who hooked it then Dave, it would have taken him hours to land!

Chris, no offence mate, it was Dave that told me you play your 9lb zeds on the careful side!!!

D

David Marrs

As if on a 12oz hook length, can't quite remember the exact phrase used, can you shed a light on it Chris mate? lmao