Jim Gibbo's Mullet

F

Frothey

Great to see Jim is out and about after his recent(ish) illness.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Cracking fish - just look at that tail!!!

Trevor Sawyer

Reaction score
Yes, I echo the previous e-mail and I'm glad to see him with such a big grin on his face. The fish must have gone like a train on float gear - one of my chub-fishing mates has told me about their unbelieveable fighting qualities and they just don't know when to stop. One day I must put some serious effort in to catching one myself - I know how hard they can be to tempt and, living in Cambridge, I don't often get the chance to fish in estuaries or creeks.
Talking of Mr. Gibbinson and Chub in the same paragraph reminds me that in his 1972 book "Chub", Jim stated that (thankfully) chub fishing would never be as popular as carp fishing and that he had yet to see the "Herbert Crump Chub Rod".... Well, My Chub Study Group mate Phil Sampford promptly went out and made one. It is still in use today and although the insignia and varnish has worn away a bit, it is still being used. He is even known as "Herbert" to his best friends. Hopefully Jim will see this posting and realise what an influence he has had on some of us at least. :eek:)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
They're brilliant fish. I've had little experience of them, but I've caught a few to just over 4lb from Anglesey. Fight like hell, and not easy to hook in the first place. The little success I've had was with float fished and surface bread, and with small Mepps spinners with maggots on the hooks.

F

Frothey

they catch loads of them all up the estuary thats about 400m from my front door - yet i never seem to get round to fishing for them.

J

jason fisher

anyone who can get one mullet out of there gets all my respect, havig tried and failed myself.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Frothey - give it a go.They are fantastic fish & you will be converted I promise.

F

Frothey

you on about the taw jason? if it makes you feel any better, you have groups of lads with handlines and boat rods fishing from the longbridge that always seem to have more than a few. bubble floats, small mepps and ragworm seem to do the trick.

J

jason fisher

i thought jims fish had come from the christchurch area, i'm not sure why though.

there's some thing about mullet, sit on a rock off spain and portugal and you can catch em as easy as anything.
but as soon as they swim into an english river they seem to become damned near impossible to tempt.

J

jason fisher

no mate i tend to be a bit further up than your estuary when i'm fishing round there.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I am glad you all liked the pic of Jim with his latest mullet.

I have great admiration for the mullet and quite honestly most of these species I have taken in the past have come from Durban Harbour.

Jim Gibbinson of course is one of Britains most respected all round specimen hunters. His innovations in the carp angling field are well known, but Jim loves all species and has caught them to great size.

Jim came out and spent 3 weeks with me in SA ca 1979. What I remember most about that trip was not so much the fish we caught but the laughter. Jim knows how to take the piss out of the so-called Ultra-Cult over-serious mob who make up a percentage of the big fish angling scene.

Jim, you are truly one of the greats.

Remember that eagle on the road to Lake Le Suere in Natal.

Or how we had to cut that hook out of your arm when we were a hundred kilometres fom the nearest doctor.

Never to be forgotten memories.

J

jason fisher

don't think having hooks cut out of my arm would slip my memory.
were you not paying attention while casting mr clay.