Landing nets 50" plus

J

John Hawkins 1

Need a large landing net for catfish over 50". Can't seem to find any advertised in the angling press - 42" seems to be the usual. Any recommendations/special offers?

F

Frothey

tacklebox do one, you can buy the arms and mesh seperately

J

jason fisher

try sending budgie burgess aprivate mail he may well be able to put you onto a supplier.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I think Terry Eustace does a 50 incher .....

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

If you just put "50 inch landing net" into Google it brings a few up

B

Budgie Burgess

Dont waste your dough on a net mate they are all the wrong shape and totally useless! Easy to make your own.Got a spare spreader block if you want one.Email me if you want some details on how to.

B

Big Rik

I've got a 52" net with 6' deep mesh, bought originally for big carping on weedy waters (e.g. scoop the lot up and sort out the bundle on the mat)
It now doubles as my cat net.

Arms were from Terry Eustace I believe and the mesh from Nashy, but this was many, many years ago.

J

John Hawkins 1

Budgie,
Either your emails down or your away. Gladly take the spare spreader block and any advice/tips you've got on building your own. Thanks.

B

Budgie Burgess

Have replied to all your mails but you obviously havnt recieved them.Send me your postal address and I will post you a spreader block,cord.attachments and stainless bolt.You will have to get some arms.I use glass fibre 50lb boat rod blanks at about 67" long.You can use 52" netting if you are just fishing in the UK,Due to the angle of the arms this will fit ok.For treble figure cats you will need to make your own netting.I use netting used to make trout cages ask at your nearest fish farm for some off cuts.If no good try Bridport and Gundry.

First job is to cut the arms to give you a snug fit on the spreader block.Then whipp a reinforcing whipping for at least 6" on the butt end of the arms.Seal this with either an epoxt resin or Araldite.This stops the alloy spreader blocks spigots splitting the fibre glass.Cut the tips of the arms to the required length.glue on the tubing with the swivels glued in one end.Tie the spreader cord to one arm via the swivel using a grinner knot.

Drill out a hole in the spreader block for the stainless bolt to go through.I like to the secure the bolt in to the block.This can be done either with araldite or by milling the hole slightly so that the hexagonal bolt head cant turn.

Thread your net on to the arms , attach them to the spreader block then tie the remaining end of the spreader cord to the other arms swivel tensioning acordingly.

If yo are making your own netting (this will give you a much larger "bag" and will allow you to net much bigger treble figure fish)You will need to follow the following steps.
Assemble your arms and spreader block,measure the perimeter,cut out a length of netting the same measurment and the required depth.Turn ovet the top edge and sew it together to form the "pocket" for your arms and cord to go in.Use a high strength cord that will not rot(I use Dacron)Mount this net on your assembled arms and block,Sew the vertical join (which should be in the centre of the block)together.Then find the centre of the net hanging from the cord and sew together from here to the bottom of the rear join.

Hope you could follow that as its a lot easier to do than explain without pictures!

A good handle finishes the job.You can either get one from the tackle shop or buy one of the super strong hexagonal ones used in the fish farming industry from once again Bridport and Gundry.

M

mike smith 1

Budgie,

Dug this thread out on a search. I have read that Jim Gibbinson made his own net with boat rod arms too.

Can you get hold of rod blanks, or do you have to buy a made up rod and strip it down?

Also, are they hollow or solid?

I think I am OK in the making of the net, and have all of the other materials.

I have broken yet another pike net arm because I am heavy handed. I know you can buy new net heads for about ?20-25, but as I keep breaking them I don't mind spending an extra few quid if I get much more life out of it.

Thanks.

M

mike smith 1

Not Jim Gibbinson, you fool, Paul Gustafson (the 'bigger pike' geezer). DOn't know what happened there!