Nice articles

T

Tony O'Dell 2

Nice articles, its a shame magazines do not publish articles like these anymore...i used to enjoy reading the likes of Coarse Fisherman, David Halls Coarse Fishing/Match Fishing as the articles were more or this ilk...nowadays magazines like Improve your Coarse Fishing seem to churn out the same old instructional bilge week in/week out..characterless stuff that could be produced by a half decent piece of computer software
Thanks again
Tony

R

Ron Troversial Clay

You are quite right Tony. Articles on angling you can really enjoy will not be found in the fishing mags.

Read FM, where decent articles are published.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

I can remember a column called "snide rumours and dirty lies" in one publication that used to be a laugh

P

Phil Hackett 2

Sadly Andy they attempted to revive it down a molehole. Unfortunately the creature seems to have blotted it copy book somewhat and rarely surfaces these days ;0)

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Articles like these enspire you to go fishing. Unfortunatley the mags these days just review tackle which only enspires the spending of money but then again when was the last time you so a bad review.

J

jason fisher

don't think i seen one in a mag, on here it would be the last /next one jeff does, he's always got some thing to complain about.

T

Tony O'Dell 2

Apologies for some of the grammatical /spelling errors, i was writing my comments at work in between phone calls.

Andy, that section you mentioned used to be in the back pages of said David Hall publications....there was a thread a long while ago where it was mentioned....even "The Guvna" was mentioned in these pages !!!!

I really do worry about the content of publications nowadays....buy six copies of these magazines and you have all the articles they will publish for the next 5 years, albeit in a re-jigged format, fronted by the latest "face" on the big fish/match circuit.
One ray of hope i have found is Coarse Angling Today....seems like a half decent read...though Ian Welch appears in one articles ( not one plug for Fox suprisingly...but some nice free advertising for Nutrabaits/Dynamite )

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Snide Rumours and Dirty Lies was in the original Coarse Fisherman (published by David Hall)---I appeared in it many times--(all lies sent in by Graham)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Good fun most of the time. It was usually the first thing you read. All lies of course, based on a little truth - except the tales about Ed of course.

For instance, there was that episode with the maggots and the false teeth............

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
David Hall's Coarse Fisherman was, to my mind, the best fishing mag ever produced and I still miss it to this day.

It had just about everything that fishermen want. Stories of fishing trips, explanations, a little instruction and humour. It had just the right blend and I wish he would consider doing it again.

I knew one of the guys who was repeatedly featured in the snide rumours etc. One year when David Hall was a commentator at the John Smiths festival at Evesham and after a particularly vicious campaign against him, he had to be physically restrained from giving D.H. 'a right good kicking' as he put it. Wasn't very funny then though. The guy in question had a reputation for cheating so many thought it was deserved

M

MaNick

I miss the MOLE bit!.. even though some of it is too steeped in personal history for me to understand, i get the rough idea of what it's normally about!...

NOW, the comments about many of the mainstream mags are toooo true, course angler today and coarse fisherman being the exeption to the rule. There are also a few "local" carp mags, by the likes of Rob Maylin and Co, but again, some of the content is very "in crowd" orientated. I still prefer this to the mainstream mags which do re-write the same stuff over and over....

Grahams stuff is always a good read!.... theres us thinking he's ill and really he was touch ledgering for chub the tyke!

W

Wolfman Woody

We could do with more stuff written like this in the mags. No bitterness and no back-stabbing. Just pleasant reminisences of times past and days spent just one step away from Heaven.

Speaking of slagging off what is Fisher on about "next one jeff does, he's always got some thing to complain about."? I've written stuff which has nothing but praise for a particular product. Rarely do you hear me complain, or do I just forget?.....

W

Wolfman Woody

Bought Angling Times yesterday, first time in it's 'New' format. Still doesn't entirely work for me. Perhaps I just haven't the interest to read these mags these days and even the adverts for tackle seem repetitive.

It's still not on sale at my local Coop (bunny huggers), but I went up to Asda last night and purchased it.

What happened to writers like Colin Willock - he truned out some tremendously funny stuff.

J

jason fisher

so that would be an i don't complain accompanied by 2 complaints then would it mr monkey.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Hey Graham,

What's this about Ed, maggots and the false teeth?

Love to hear it.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Just warming my maggots in my mouth --and they sort of got caught in my false teeth in the pub........ sort of
heheheheh

Reaction score
Jeez, The original Coarse Fisherman ! As well as "Snide Rumours" you also had "Up for t'cup" and Chris Binyon's articles were always top class, was it really 26 odd years ago ?

N

Nigel Moors 2

Couple of years ago I bought a magazine in a little newsagents in Swindon, for the life of me I can't remember the title although it's nothing mentioned on this thread. It was a right throwback to the flowery articles of yesteryear with verdant meadows and streams busting with chub and roach. Anyone see it or anything like it?
Did ask the guy in the shop but he was unable to recall it and didn't seem to have repeat orders in for it. There was a good article in it on the Cricklade stretch of the Thames so maybe a local Wilts publication.
Agree with the comments about most of todays rags but still stupid enough to buy them - they are after all about fishing.