fishomania

peter jones 6

Reaction score
I'm a great fan of the live televised match,but is anybody else annoyed by the presenters who obviously know nothing about fishing ? One of them prevented an angler unhooking a fish because she stuck that fluffy cornet thing in his face and went on and on.Also, surely in 5 hours there is time for some really detailed discussions/demonstration of the rigs being used, and the feeding etc ?

J

John McLaren

I agree about the inappropriate behaviour of the Sky crews (at one point I thought one of the anglers was going to lose a good carp around the water level camera). But I have to say how surprisingly compulsive the viewing was despite Sky's attempts to louse it up!

Yorkie

Reaction score
Got to agree with most of the points raised re the Sky crew. BUT, which other TV company do you know of that gives airplay to fishing programmes???

I watched it for the full 5 hours, I couldn't leave the telly. Nice to see a bit of live angling on the box.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Caught the last 2 hours and enjoyed it. As you say some of the commentators inside kept refering it to situations in football. Why was Keith no hosting it. Also agree with Peter a few tips on the rigs that were catching could have helped us non matchfishers to understand what was going on.

Does anybody know what that sausage like thing was attached to the line for.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Didn't see it and wouldn't care if I never did. Don't like that whole commercial thing but whatever floats peoples boat, leave them on those fisheries and keep the rivers free for those that want them...
Regarding Sky - have been a big fan of their whole approach to most sports coverage but even if some of the presenters are naff, no-one else will have the camera angles that Sky do.

Yorkie

Reaction score
Does anybody know what that sausage like thing was attached to the line for.

Bryan, I assume you mean the candle.

Some of the anglers were fishing the candle method. The candle gives casting weight as well as being able to float. A great method for presenting floating baits.
Quite simply it's a candle with the wick removed, line slipped through the wick hole and secured either side of the candle with shot or swivels.
It works a treat.

Yorkie

Reaction score
Aparently the candle attracts the carp - no it's not lit!!!
In principle it is supposed to work as good as if not better than a bubble float, the fish are attracted to the candle, notice it is not anything edible then go for the floating bait.
It works, as was proved last week.