Dove maniacs

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Ron,
I don't doubt what you say,the reason I asked was because last year I caught what I am sure was the same barbel off the same stretch of river,and off the same peg. Not only that it was at exactly the same time. As well as being a week between captures. I could be wrong though in saying it was the same fish. This was during a very hot spell where you had to wait until dark before you got a bite. The thing that amazed me was the time, it was exactly 9.50 pm. on both occasions.
I don't know if this was to do with feeding times which would be interesting to go into, or if it was just a more safer time for them to feed.

W

Wolfman Woody

"I don't eat farmed trout from supermakets" - Roger Daltrey (he of "The Who") breeds a lot of the trout in this country now and a hell of a lot of his stock go straight to supermarkets or Hanningfield and a few other resvrs. And trout are an oily fish, but I would still much prefer a good mackerel.

I agree with you Ron, don't put a direct figure of 7lb on it, but it is somewhere about there perhaps. Maybe just 5lb in some waters and could be as high as 9 or 10 in others, but there will be an optimum weight to fight ratio.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Trout are an oily fish that is true, but nowhere near as oily as herrings, mackerel, pilchards, anchovies, tuna or sardines.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I didn't intend to put an excact figure on it Jeff. It was based in my own experience, estimation and is not written in stone. Maybe other anglers have have different experiences.

I don't bother weighing fish from the Trent these days unless they look like doubles, and some of the hardest scraps I have had have been with fish estimated around 7lbs.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"Ungrateful old sod forgot his bloody wallet when we got to the chippy too."

Thought he had an ulcer ..........

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Ron said, "I really wish someone would write a book about Walker's life."

Barrie Rickards is doing just that right now.

N

Nigel Moors 2

My apologies for asking this, you'll all think me the biggest philistine around afterwards. As a simple lad from Oxfordshire who doesn't get out much can you tell what River Dove this is and where you fish?

A google search threw up 3 rivers by the same name.

SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY

R

Ron Troversial Clay

In Derbyshire, a tributary of the Trent, rising in Dovedale and flowing past Ashbourne, Uttoxeter and Tutbury.

It is the famous stream where Cotton fished with Walton.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Good for Barrie. I suppose it will be published by The Medlar Press. I will be amongst the first to apply to get a signed copy.

Problem with The Medlar Press is they only do small print runs and a book like this should become a best seller, or it ought to.

Can you keep us posted in this book Graham?

N

Nigel Moors 2

Many thanks Ron, thought I'd have been blasted for that. Still time....

W

Wolfman Woody

Why Nigel? Many of them still think the Thames rises at Lechlade, whereas you know, it only becomes the Thames at Dorchester. Above that it's the Isis.

Check out how many Avon's there are, or Stours, and many other rivers. Their names all come from olde Englishe and were locally known, we didn't have national organisations to control them then.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Avon, Afton, Afon, comes from the old Celtic name meaning fast flowing river.

Stour, I am not sure.

J

jason fisher

if you read the maps they say Thames or isis by the river jeff right the way up to lechlade so ner.

W

Wolfman Woody

Ner? The Thames is named after the joining of the "THAME" and "ISIS" at Dorchester.

Only lazy buggers who can read Latin don't call it Isis. Nar!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

By the way, Stour means Strong.

Old Pete Stone always called the Thames the "Thames", even in it's upper regions.

W

Wolfman Woody

SO? He wasn't always right. Most locals do refer to it as the Upper Thames if only because the visitors and outsiders wouldn't have a clue otherwise.

J

jason fisher

apart from the really analy retentive oxford geography dons and cartographers, i've never heard anyone call it the isis but you so ner ner ne ner ner.