Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dove maniacs

Wolfman Woody Guest

Hahah!

Same story as Rik told me, but you've filled in more of the blanks. A real tale of triumph over adversity.

You can't it though, or so I was told by the FM members. You'll be up before the committee next for foul-hooking fish. Tsk-tsk!!!

Great stuff. Thats a tale that will light up many a winter evening in the pub. You can almost feel yourself panting with exertion just reading it

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason

Ron Troversial Clay Guest

Interesting story.

Here's a question for you barbel bashers. What size do they fight the hardest?

From my own experience I would say about 7 pounds. The hardest fight I every had from a barbel was a 7 pounder from the Swale about 6 years sgo. On 8 pound line, 10 hook and 6 pound hook length it went like crazy all over the river. It took over 30 minutes by my watch to subdue.

I once played a fish on the Severn in the middle of Bewdley for over 3 hours. But I never saw it. It may have been a foul hooked barbel.

Wolfman Woody Guest

That's an interesting one, Ron.

Are barbel like trout in that a 20lb trout has the same size heart as a 4 lb trout? Hence they don't fight as well becasue of all that extra lard they have to carry about. I'll ask around sometime.

Trout is another interesting species the hardest fighting trout I have ever caught have been overwintered reservoir rainbows in the 31/2 to 4 pound bracket. Also some high altitude (7000 feet)rainbows in the same weight bracket have gone like stink.

I have had several double figure (Stocked) trout in my life that fought nothing like as hard. I much prefer the smaller reservoir fish.

Those very big trout Jeff don't carry lard about I can assure you. The are all solid flesh and have had a diet of pellets.

Before they are released they are confined to quite small stew ponds, so they never have to use much energy up. Maybe the muscle is out of tone. Landing them is all about pulling a solid weight and they can take a long time. A bit like a cart horse compared to a race horse as Dick Walker used to say.

Wolfman Woody Guest

"Lard" was just a term, Ron.

If they have the same size of heart as a 4lber then they wouldn't be able to fight as long before the lactic acids (I think they are) start to build up n their muscle and you end up pulling against dead weight.

I don't want to get into trout, but just using them as a comparison if barbel are like them. Therefore your previous statement could be right that a 6-8lb barbel will fight the best, for it's size.

what a cracking story Graham, as has been said, the excitement comes through brilliantly. I would much sooner read something like this than someone pulling ten doubles out or whatever. Good exciting stuff.

Talking of small barbel being hard fighters, I caught my rod in mid air at the begining of the season by a six inch long barbel. It's in an article I have written which I hope to be putting on soon.

I could be wrong of course. My 7 pound size rating is from my own experience. However what I will say is that Yorkshire barbel fight the hardest of all and I've caught barbel from 13 different rivers in England.

The worst are Hants Avon Barbel.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast