Looking forward to 1st river session of the season

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

I'm off down to the river Rother tomorrow for my first session of the new season, my target will be chub and barbel with the possibility of a stray carp.

Bait wise I've got halibut ground bait, hemp and sweet corn, halibut pellets and I'll be taking maggots(for roach and dace if the chub and barbel don't show up) and a tin of meat just as back up.

The weather is looking to be hot so I may take some bread as a back up to free line for chub if all else fails.

So tonight I'll be sorting out the kit, making the ground bait up, tying a few hook lengths and looking forward to the day, tomorrow evening I'll be itching from insect bites and nettle stings, sun burnt and moaning about how I didn't catch and wondering what I can do differently next time

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Your bait bag sounds very much like mine but I often wonder, do we cause ourselves too many problems by having so many options?

Should we take along just two baits and be done with it? Or even just the one? But if we take more, how long do we give each bait before changing to the next?

So many questions. I do hope your day is a good one though M'Lord.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Grumpy

too many baits has long been a problem of mine - I've just packed the gear, loaded the bait into my ruck sack and everything is set except for the maggots- I'm taking too much stuff and most of it will sit unused on hte bank but I'd hate to get there and have forgotten something

frippe

Reaction score
I'm the same, I will take every bait under the sun when really all I needed was a tin of meat and some halibuts.
Its a bit the same with the tackle I take (river fishing). I will always take too much stuff when 1 rod and terminal would have done.

I tried to travel light once, ended up leaving everything I needed at home.

preston96

Reaction score
Two weeks on the Midland rivers for me, starting tomorrow, Wye and Lugg to kick off.

Just oiling my trusty ole Webley. :wh

frippe

Reaction score
Had a productive night on Saturday, some nice but spawned out chub and more than a hatful of cracking river bream. Not sure if it was the boilies but the bream seemed to like them (trigga).

Started off using a feeder rod with some success but a couple of good chub soon made use of the weed and snags which had me reaching for the 10lb line and heavier rod. It cost me a couple of fish in bite indication but put a couple more fish on the bank. The chub all coming to halibuts and the bream couldnt get enough of the boilies.

Last edited: