How do you get that fishy smell off your fingers?

B

Big Rik

washing your hands in shaving foam works.

It's an old trick I used to employ after beach fishing (stinky squid, ragworm sandeel etc)

T

The Monk

that surprises me Rik, does not shaving foam contain soap extracts, one of the tactics of a few sickos in the 70s was to soap swims, a bar of soap thrown into a baited swim kept the fish away

T

The Monk

mind you, I suppose it doesnt matter once you`ve finished fishing. I can always remember about being warned never to use terps prior to making baits or going fishing, indeed even nicotine tints on the fingers are suppose to put fish off

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The product that David Bruce mentions is probably one of these, or one very similar:

Zilo Smell Killer

Incidentally, the link to the distributors doesn't work any more, they've changed their URL or something.

alan

Reaction score
its funny, but ive always thought it was better to have your hands stinking of something. my mate constantly outfishes me using same rigs, bait, and casting to the same area, the only thing we could think off was the smell of his faggs hiding the smell of his hands. i have started wiping my hands in sea weed and rag worm so the fish cant smell my hands on the bait. i have started to catch more by doing this.

C

Cakey

The one thing Im really really fussy with is my baits ....I hate anyone sticking their hand in and smelling them.....I dunno where their hand has been do I?

George Wilson

Reaction score
cheers guys. lemon juice seems to be the way then. i'll try that next time i'm fortunate enough to shoot (spearfishing) something worth keeping!

oh and to answer murrays question of "why would you want to"

the missus is starting to think i'm playing away from home.

: )

thanks guys

T

The Monk

Petrol can be the kiss of death Cakey

something which has always interested me, and I did a radio show about it a few years ago, was the female estrogen theory, ie women wiping their hands all over maggots and baits and creating excitment among male fish. Frank Warwick did considerable research in this area, hence the advantages of keeping a few Ruffe Slappers in the bivvy

While I was writing an angling colum for one of my local rags, I kept getting reports about a local girl who was forever outfishing the guys in local matches, she was having menstration (womens)problems at the time, which caused her estrogen levels and estrogen sweat emmittence to be extrememly high. She was effectively coating her maggots with a female attractant (homone) and the fish appeared to love it?

alan

Reaction score
ive heard the theory before.

ive been very tempted to wait until the missus is asleep and pluck a few hairs, tie them on to my feathers and see what happens.

not worked up the bottle yet.

W

Wolfman Woody

This has all been talked about before, women, oestrogen levels and cathcing fish. Thanks Monk, I think I'll have to find myself a ruffe slapper of my own from now on.

Alan's idea won't work with my wife, but that's another story.

J

John Hepworth

Fishy smell off fingers, probably the same way as when you were 16-17 years of age????
Or have times changed in the last 40 or so years?

The Hood

Reaction score
I went sea fishing with Roger Byzance a few times, and me being a head chef, he got me to do all the gutting and cleaning on the way home. His method to get any fish smell out of your hand is..........

WASH THEM IN SHAVING FOAM.

Daft i know but by god it works.

J

jason fisher

mr hood i refer you to the answer rik gave at the top of the page

M

MaNick

I have to agree with the oil / petrol theroy mentioned ealier. As someone who works with oil, i always wash my hands as often as possible, then rub them in dirt before fishing...

As for the device you guys are talking about, is it the same as the "garlic" bar, used to get rid of garlic and onion smells?.

T

The Monk

Walker used to write about nicotine tints on baits, from pipes and cigarettes, of course the longer a bait is in water, the smell in theory evaporates, some fish take on the drop of course and any lack of underwater current will also have a significant effect on smell dispearsetion

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Petrol? But I thought WD-40 was so attractive to fish there were fears of "Torrey Canyon"-style boilies - and isn't at least part of WD-40 petroleum distillate?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Last year in the US I watched a Yank outfish everyone on a charter fishing boat by spraying his lures and bait with WD40...He must have caught 4 or 5 times as many fish as anyone else on the boat ....

J

jason fisher

it's the other thing that's in wd40 that does the trick.
the only problem with wd40 is it's supposed to be poisonous to fish.