Taking line off a spool

A Wayne

Reaction score
Does anyone know any ways of easily taking line off a spool without pulling it all off and ending up with a heap of line on the floor?

Thanks

S

Steve Ayscough

I always carefully use a stanley knife to cut through the line & then bag it up & burn it

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I usually don't have much to take off as I use old line for backing. Normally i chuck the spool on the floor and wind the line off around my elbow and hand, it doesn't take long.

J

jason fisher

electric drill, put a bolt through the spool spindle tighten it into the chuck switch on drill with the spool on the floor then wind it all back onto the old spool.
quick and easy if you have a drill that is.

John Jones

Reaction score
On this subject, anyone know of a product that makes a deep spool into a shallow spool? Knowing how much backing to put on is always a problem so failing a product any suggestions? Cork would do the trick maybe if you get it the right thickness.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
John,
1 Start with an empty spool.
2 Put your prefered line on first.
3 Then fill to just before the rim of your spool with backing line.
4 Take it all off onto a spare spool.
5 Put the backing line on first.
6 Then your prefered line.

John Jones

Reaction score
Brilliant Baz,and cheers! what it is to have brains!

I still can't understand why amongst the millions of gadgets available to us no one has marketed a 'spool filler'.

John Jones

Reaction score
Oh yes, my buddy Graham has just told me he's bought some cork from a craft shop so we'll have a go see if we can make a 'spool filler' ouselves.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can get one cheaply enough an old line drier from early fly fishing days is a very useful tool for the job, and accomplishes the task far quicker than anything I've tried.
Some of the very early models in really good condition can be very expensive, but take a look on e-bay as there are usually a few available at reasonable prices.

As to backing, I have used soft twine wound onto the spool and then covered with tape. Alternatively, for some applications then use Baz's good advice.

Hope this helps.

A

Andrew Thomas 1

I use paper masking tape in the narrower width as backing to reduce a spool capacity.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Wool, can't be beaten. It can be pulled on tight so the line doesn't bed in

John Jones

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help. Just goes to show what a good bunch of blokes there are on F/M.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think what some of us tend to forget is that there are new comers to angling all the time. What seems basic to the more expierienced angler, can be a problem for the newcomer. But never the less everybody on here will give help and advice where needed.