What Counts

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
F

Frothey

"I had 3, but two came off."

maybe its like game fishing where they say "we raised 5 marlin, but didnt hook one"

when you shared the second carp bill, how did you prepare it? ;)

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
I'm not going to argue about what merits more, that is up to the individual.
Jeff, you're right, you still had to play it and still had to land it but it was still an accident.
I'm not saying that I wouldn't enjoy the fight but if it had been the only fish of the day I would be very disappointed that it had been foul hooked, and I would be gutted if it was a pb.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Frothey, I'm glad my mate was there or I would have been in trouble, the fish I was playing was in a snaggy area and I couldn't leave it.
Jeff, when I'm carping I would say I've had 3 runs and caught 1 fish, are you saying we should also count fish that come off.

F

Frothey

just wondering if you had any recipes, you know, bit of butter, white whine, thyme.....

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
I like them smoked over the bonfire that I have going, washed down with 12 cans of stella and a few snack boilies.

W

Wolfman Woody

Bill. I'm not saying whether you should or should not count them, they're not my fish. They'd be your fish, but in the case I mentioned, my mate kind of counts them like that, "I caught 3, but 2 got off." or whatever.

Last week I was doing a little spinning with a rod I bought at Christmas and not really used in anger, certainly not christened it. After flogging the river for 2 hours without so much as a follow, I finally hooked a pike of between 7 and 9 lbs. On a short, light rod that should have been exciting, but it broke on me just above the joint.

The top half came clean away and slid down the line towards the pike, but I managed to drag it into the side. Not being able to do any more with it I was hoping I could throw it off and it worked. So, I caught a pike and got it to the side where normally I would have landed it, but instead I decided to throw it and therefore lost it.

Q. Do I count it?

A. I couldn't give a toss. The b*****d broke my rod, that's enough.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Jeff - agree with your previous comment about what difference does it make. As Ron says when quoting Walkerisms - "Anglers would enjoy their fishing far more if they went out to please themselves rather than to impress other."

I enjoy it just being there - went last night, tried a new swim on the Thames, wind blowing a gale, hammering down, dogs and I all soaked and never had a bite. Brolly nearly took off into the river complete with guy ropes which would have joined my unhooking mat which I lost a few weeks ago in the same manner. But it was great!

That's what counts..

W

Wolfman Woody

"never had a bite", get used to it Nigel. I have!

Here's anopther Walkerism to remember, "It doesn't matter who's catching so long as someone is. In time we all get our turn." (it may not be exact, but the meaning is there).

N

Nigel Moors 2

A bit like - it's not who wins the game but how we play it. (FA motto)

If we all get our turn then right now someones having a bloody good session cos I'm not!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I think some people on here get a bit pedantic about fishing niceties. Also I think most of it is only on the computer and not related to what actually happens oon the bank

And before anybody says anything, no, I'm not hinting at any particular person, just generalising.

W

Wolfman Woody

"I think most of it is only on the computer and not related to what actually happens oon the bank" Right on, Graham!

It's akin to all those people that go to church on Sunday praying for forgiveness, promissing to "forgive those that trespass against us." etc. As soon as they leave the front doors, the sweat from the vicar's handshake has hardly dried and they're baying for some poor bugger's blood. Heeheh!

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Going a bit off track here, I thought we were just debating what we thought counts as a proper catch.
I'm certainly not pedantic about it, we just all have our own yardstick.
If other people want to count foul hooked fish that is entirely up to them!!!
Jeff, sorry about the rod but you did catch the fish and managed to get it in as such.

C

Coops

A fish is a fish is a fish. If I was fishing for it fairly and it hits the bank then I reckon I caught it.

And if I catch a record chub while I'm barbel fishing or a record bream while I'm carp fishing I'll record the event for history's sake (the fish is the record, not the angler).

When I go fishing I go fishing for fish, not just for 'carp' or 'barbel'. Although a particular species may be my preferred target at the time and the method being used and place fished should give me more chance of catching that species than any other, any other species is nevertheless welcome to take the bait (unless its an eel....).

Besides when you are as crap as me any fish caught in any way is a bonus (get that in before Rik says it!)

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
I agree Coops, if a fish eats my bait I caught it, even if I was targeting another species.
As I say, we all have our own yardstick.

alan

Reaction score
i count fish that i land, simple. if its gets off in the surf or i miss the bite, it dosent count.